Major Hiring - how will it play out?

Subscribe
5  6  7  8  9 
Page 9 of 9
Go to
Quote: No one predicted 3 airline industry bailouts combined with the return of domestic leisure travel far out-pacing even the most wildly optimistic projections.
He made that prediction February 25, 2021, not summer of 2020.
Quote: Incidentally, the most a major has ever hired is just over 1,200 for a year. Delta holds that distinction. AA and United are not far behind.
There was similar hiring in the late 90's, it was just spread across smaller but more numerous major airlines... DL, NW, UA, CAL, AA, US, HP, HAL, AQ, etc
Quote: There was similar hiring in the late 90's, it was just spread across smaller but more numerous major airlines... DL, NW, UA, CAL, AA, US, HP, HAL, AQ, etc
And in the mid-80s, EA, WA, CO, TW, Republic, Ozark, he cycle goes on.
Quote: There was similar hiring in the late 90's, it was just spread across smaller but more numerous major airlines... DL, NW, UA, CAL, AA, US, HP, HAL, AQ, etc
But is anybody’s schoolhouse big enough to do more than 1200? Do they have enough simulators? That is my point. Sorry I did not make it clear enough.

Did the big 3 keep the sims and schoolhouses of the airlines that merged into them? For example, did AA keep the schoolhouse and sims of TW? The answer is no. So it is a schoolhouse capacity issue.

Incidentally, the greatest number of pilots hired in a single year by all the majors was in 2000, when just over 5,100 were hired.
Quote: But is anybody’s schoolhouse big enough to do more than 1200? Do they have enough simulators? That is my point. Sorry I did not make it clear enough.

Did the big 3 keep the sims and schoolhouses of the airlines that merged into them? For example, did AA keep the schoolhouse and sims of TW? The answer is no. So it is a schoolhouse capacity issue.
United is adding 2 more max sims this fall and just finished construction of a new building (rumors of adding another sim building soon). The sim instructors that I have talked to say that we can train 1,000 new crews annually on the 737 alone. Apparently we have the capacity now to meet internal training requirements in addition to hiring 1,500 per year.
Quote: United is adding 2 more max sims this fall and just finished construction of a new building (rumors of adding another sim building soon). The sim instructors that I have talked to say that we can train 1,000 new crews annually on the 737 alone. Apparently we have the capacity now to meet internal training requirements in addition to hiring 1,500 per year.
Good to hear.
5  6  7  8  9 
Page 9 of 9
Go to