Is “Reverse Taxi” approved at Envoy?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
I just loved how after everyone told them to make a 180, that ops guy came out and said there’s no way they have room. Good job on the crew for standing their ground and doing it the right way.
Quote: Thanks for that tidbit kid, looks like the FAA has to buy off on it too...

OPSPEC C065, POWERBACK OPERATIONS WITH AIRPLANES.

A. C065 authorizes the use of powerplant reversing systems for rearward taxi operations. Before issuing C065, the POI must determine whether the operator meets requirements discussed in AC 120‑29, current edition. Airplane types (M/M/S) authorized for powerback operations must be listed in C065. Airports where powerback operations are authorized must also be listed. If the POI and/or operator determine that restrictions to powerback operations are required at certain gates or ramp areas, the restrictions must be described (adjacent to the airport name) in the “Restrictions and Limitations” column. OpSpecs worksheets provide a template for listing authorized airplanes, airports, and restrictions.

Off course, that applies to any 121 carrier. The point I was trying to make was that the DC-9 series aircraft were designed to be able to power backs. Very common occurrence up until the 90s.
Quote: Off course, that applies to any 121 carrier. The point I was trying to make was that the DC-9 series aircraft were designed to be able to power backs. Very common occurrence up until the 90s.
I remember watching AirTran do them with the 717 all the time in ATL until around 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-FdDKxuNU
If you do that and even tap the brakes you'll put the tail in the dirt, right?
Quote: If you do that and even tap the brakes you'll put the tail in the dirt, right?
Well thats why for powerbacks the crews were instructed to keep their feet on the floor during it.
Quote: If you do that and even tap the brakes you'll put the tail in the dirt, right?
There is a pilot at Envoy whose father infamously stood a Dash 7 on it’s tail when he tried to back it up. It had quite dramatic effects. Not sure if there was any damage or not when the nose slammed down.

TBH though, IDK if the son even knows about it. Probably not one of those stories you’d be too proud to tell about.
Quote: Off course, that applies to any 121 carrier. The point I was trying to make was that the DC-9 series aircraft were designed to be able to power backs. Very common occurrence up until the 90s.
Yes it's legal and used to be common if you have the right airplane. If nobody trained you to do it, then I wouldn't waste time digging in the book for authorization because you're not going to find it. One of those things that if you have to ask...
Unless things have changed, power backs are not authorized at Envoy.
The FO will be flowing to mainline soon!
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to