Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Best "I quit!" story

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018
Default Best "I quit!" story

Current topics are getting a little long in the tooth. Was thinking this morning about an opportunity (and plan) to quit with a bang 10+ years ago. My desire to be a professional, however, as well as not wanting to burn any bridges at the time, caused me to wuss out and give (and honor) 30 days notice. Assessing my current career situation, I realized that not only would I have NOT burned any bridges (as it relates to my current position) but makes me a tad, oh.....I don't know, regretful I didn't follow through with my original plan. Hindsight being correctable to 20/20 and all...

Was curious if anyone else has a great story giving the proverbial middle finger to an employer as a pilot?
Old 09-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Gojet Recall Email Response

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comm...pria_question/

The answer depends on whether or not you want to stay a pilot in the 121 world. This guy gave his employer the bird, then the new one found out.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:38 PM
At your mom's house

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: cpt 737

I knew a guy flying beach-18s who after his third engine failure that week quit over the phone and left his plane where he landed due to said engine failure.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: C-172

I heard a story of a guy that quit during indoc at his new airline. One of the managers came into the room and pulled him aside telling him something came up on his background check and they needed to talk about it.

This guy gets hyper defensive saying they shouldn't know about it because he spent thousands of dollars getting his record expunged. The manager basically says well we have it right here so if you could tell us a bit about what happened we'll put you back into class.

So he begrudgingly explains that he was having a tough day and decided to "relieve some tension" That's when the cops found him and cited him for lewd conduct and indecent exposure and so on.

The managers jaw about hits the floor and says "I just wanted to know about an illegal title transfer...."

After a pause that must have felt like an eternity the guy handed him his badge and walked out, never to be seen again.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:59 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Famous old-skool story about a prop CA from an unmentionable regional who on his very last flight before moving on claimed that a prop governor was misbehaving and so decided to divert... to the non-121 GA patch in his hometown. Set the brake and walked away.

Lucky to avoided avoided federal charges, but not-so-lucky with regard to his new employer which naturally didn't see the humor...

Ya'll be careful out there, especially in the digital age.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:19 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Flight instructor left to fly single pilot freight in the Midwest somewhere.
First flight solo on the line WX is down to the ground and he goes to his alternate and has to hold and all that jazz in horrible weather with an ILS down to minimums in a turd with no autopilot.
Another guy from his training class experienced the same and landed the plane at the alternate and quit over the phone.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post

Ya'll be careful out there, especially in the digital age.
I really feel sorry for this coming of age generation and the next. You can’t have any fun or make any mistakes anymore.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:40 PM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Originally Posted by hoover View Post
I knew a guy flying beach-18s who after his third engine failure that week quit over the phone and left his plane where he landed due to said engine failure.
Did he tell them where he landed it? Or just let them stumble onto it?
Old 09-06-2021, 10:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by CantTaxiToACS View Post
Gojet Recall Email Response

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comm...pria_question/

The answer depends on whether or not you want to stay a pilot in the 121 world. This guy gave his employer the bird, then the new one found out.
His employer and then lost his CJO at a ULCC later.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by dualinput View Post
I really feel sorry for this coming of age generation and the next. You can’t have any fun or make any mistakes anymore.
This isn't true at all. But you shouldn't brag about your mistakes on public forums and social media.