Tuition Reimbursement Contract

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
Quote: I signed a tuition reimbursement contact through my flight school in 2019 which was for a lump sump payment upon completion of IOE.

Long story short, I fulfilled all the terms of the original contact on my end, the original contact that I signed was lost (i still have a copy), and before SkyWest would pay out the money, they redrafted a new contract and stuck a two year time commitment in there. I signed this contact, left the company before two years was up and now am being asked to repay the money.

Was wondering if anyone else on here had the same experience. Obviously, I feel cheated, the fight school was negligent in their record keeping, and Skywest decided to screw a bunch of people over by changing the terms of the contract for those who wanted the money.

Is there any way to get out of repayment? I am waiting to hear back from a lawyer to see if the new contract is enforceable or not.

Appreciate any advice you can provide.
You voluntarily signed the second amended contract. You are on the hook unless you can prove, with evidence, that you were coerced into signing it. (Being forced to pay the tuition if you didn't sign it isn't coercion). You waived the flight school of their negligence when you gave them a newly signed contract with new terms. The time to seek legal advice on contact is before you put pen to paper, not after when you are trying to get out of it.
Good luck finding an attorney who will take this...
Republics going after students for the same contract breech.
https://simpleflying.com/republic-ai...ight-students/
Quote: The time to seek legal advice on contact is before you put pen to paper, not after when you are trying to get out of it.
Good luck finding an attorney who will take this...
You are 100% right, but all kinds of lawyers will gladly write a letter and send it to SkyWest for $400-500. It's like free money for them. But none of them have any intent of following through with anything beyond writing that letter because they know it's a waste for their time.
Quote: I’m shocked! They aren’t charging interest, are they?
This is the million dollar question. Hopefully OP sees this and can let us know
Quote: This is the million dollar question. Hopefully OP sees this and can let us know
They are not. The "tuition reimbursement bonus" was treated as W-2 taxable income. This was not a loan for flight training, it was used to retain flight instructors by providing financial incentive to go to SkyWest rather than flying cargo, corporate, or going to another regional airline once they reached atp minimums.
It wouldn't be a forum if you didn't get the unhelpful trolls responding vitriol.

Same thing happened to me. I signed the new contract that had tricky fine print about the 24 month commitment from IOE. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE sign this contract in the current state of the industry. After taxes you receive less than $10k and then you owe them $15k since you'll be at any airline you want before the commitment is up.
Quote: It wouldn't be a forum if you didn't get the unhelpful trolls responding vitriol.

Same thing happened to me. I signed the new contract that had tricky fine print about the 24 month commitment from IOE. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE sign this contract in the current state of the industry. After taxes you receive less than $10k and then you owe them $15k since you'll be at any airline you want before the commitment is up.
A friend in recruitment let me read the wording in those contracts, it isn't "tricky" or "fine print" from what I saw. Seemed like it was a couple sections within the contract, pretty standard. Unsolicited advice, fully read and understand any contract before you put your signature on it, especially where money is involved. Signing a contract says you agree to all the terms and conditions within it, even if you didn't know a term or condition was in the contract.
For those that were able to pay it back in payments rather than a lump sum, how did the conversation go? I'm separating from skywest in the next 8-10 weeks and would REALLY like to not owe a lump sum but so far it sounds like thats what they demand on initial contact.
UPDATE REQUEST
Hey there,

Anyone had any success in getting the original terms honored??
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to