How much does commuting suck

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
I just joined AW and was wondering what a schedule would be like to commute from MSP to DAY. I understand commuting is terrible but as the new guy what can I expect an average month to be like in terms of a schedule?

edit: How long would I be a dayton base and what would it be like to commute to MKE/ORD?
I’ve never been based in DAY so someone can correct me if I’m wrong but MSP to DAY will be a 2 leg commute and trips start early and end late so you’ll probably have to commute in a day early and get home a day late so a 4 day trip will turn into 6 days away from home.
Quote: I’ve never been based in DAY so someone can correct me if I’m wrong but MSP to DAY will be a 2 leg commute and trips start early and end late so you’ll probably have to commute in a day early and get home a day late so a 4 day trip will turn into 6 days away from home.

You could one leg this commute but it will be offline on DL.
How much does commuting suck? a LOT. dont commute. Go find some room mates or rent an apartment at your base. Your QoL will be 900x better and you will have so much more free time to enjoy.
Quote: I just joined AW and was wondering what a schedule would be like to commute from MSP to DAY. I understand commuting is terrible but as the new guy what can I expect an average month to be like in terms of a schedule?

edit: How long would I be a dayton base and what would it be like to commute to MKE/ORD?
Commuting sucks...period.

However, as commutes go, MSP-ORD isnt too bad. I commuted that a lot in my time at AW. The flights are full and there's competition for standby but having UA, AA, and DL gives you a lot of options. Just put up with MSP-DAY for a little bit and then try to get ORD.

Also, you have MSP-MDW as an alternative.
As someone who had to do the commute to a MX base (cae) when a new captain, expect the crappy lines that are early shows and late finishes. That turns your basic schedule of 4 on/3 off into 6 on/1 off due to commuting day prior and day after. It blows at first but gets better with time with increasing seniority/getting a more commutable base.
Best of luck
Why not apply at Endeavor/SkyWest and be based in MSP?
Quote: You could one leg this commute but it will be offline on DL.
According to the ALPA jumpseat flight finder there are no direct flights from MSP to DAY.
Quote: Why not apply at Endeavor/SkyWest and be based in MSP?
I actually have a job at skywest but their training is too far out. Is getting a type rating and then leaving right away frowned upon? I assume so..
Quote: I actually have a job at skywest but their training is too far out. Is getting a type rating and then leaving right away frowned upon? I assume so..
Go to Sun Country and skip the regionals
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to