Is commuting worth it?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 8
Go to
Hello,

I'll be switching bases soon and am choosing between living in base (major US city) and a different city which is a 2h15/30 minute drive away, with several nonstop flights daily. I like the non-base city more, but am not sure if the stress of flying to work a few times a month, or the long drive would be sustainable. I know the answer is different for everyone, but I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done, or is doing a 2-3 hour driving commute (or 30 minute flight). I don't have family ties to either city so both are a viable option. So far I've only lived in base so am not sure how it would be from a personal standpoint. Any insight, experience, tips, advisories would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Quote: Hello,

I'll be switching bases soon and am choosing between living in base (major US city) and a different city which is a 2h15/30 minute drive away, with several nonstop flights daily. I like the non-base city more, but am not sure if the stress of flying to work a few times a month, or the long drive would be sustainable. I know the answer if different for everyone, but I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done, or are doing a 2-3 hour driving commute (or 30 minute flight). I don't have family ties to either city so both are a viable option. So far I've only lived in base so am not sure how it would be from a personal standpoint. Any insight, experience, tips, advisories is welcomed. Thank you!
Always choose the non-commute / in town local legacy Big-3 or 4 (or FDX/UPS) over any other choice

If you have a Big-3 flagship hub in your hometown, that is where you target for a career. Period, the end.

Any "contract differences" will be overridden by driving to work.

I'll be switching bases soon and am choosing between living in base (major US city) and a different city which is a 2h15/30 minute drive away, with several nonstop flights daily. I like the non-base city more, but am not sure if the stress of flying to work a few times a month, or the long drive would be sustainable. I know the answer is different for everyone, but I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done, or are doing a 2-3 hour driving commute (or 30 minute flight). I don't have family ties to either city so both are a viable option. So far I've only lived in base so am not sure how it would be from a personal standpoint. Any insight, experience, tips, advisories would be much appreciated. Thank you!
What draws you to the non-base city? Family and/or friends? Cost of living? Something you get there that you can't get at the domicile? Could you live in base and visit non-base city on your time off?

Just things to consider. For me, it's a no. Commuted, hated it. More time away from home and less earning potential. I'd have to have really good reason to chose commuting, but that's a deeply personal decision.
Commuting will literally kill you.
the stress will take years off your life and you'll be miserable and tired.
It all depends...
Does the place you want to live have frequent/numerous daily flights to your assigned base?
Does your company have a long call reserve that would still enable you to sit reserve at home?
Are you a lineholder?
Are you flying at a company where your entire commute might occur only three or four times a month? Or does your company just go turns?

It ain't a one size fits all situation. Lot's of people successfully commute but for some people in some areas it's virtually impossible because of geographical and/or FOM restrictions. There are a lot of variables and without knowing the specifics of THE INDIVIDUAL CASE nobody can really tell you if commuting is worth it.
Quote: Commuting will literally kill you.
Only if you let it. I’ve commuted for most of my career. I rarely stress out over it anymore. If I can’t get to work, I use the commuter clause and forget about it. If I can’t get home right away, I don’t let that get to me either.

I try my best bidding-wise to avoid long duty periods right before or after commutes as well.
Quote: Commuting will literally kill you.
You must be a commuter

I'll be switching bases soon and am choosing between living in base (major US city) and a different city which is a 2h15/30 minute drive away, with several nonstop flights daily. I like the non-base city more, but am not sure if the stress of flying to work a few times a month, or the long drive would be sustainable. I know the answer is different for everyone, but I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done, or is doing a 2-3 hour driving commute (or 30 minute flight). I don't have family ties to either city so both are a viable option. So far I've only lived in base so am not sure how it would be from a personal standpoint. Any insight, experience, tips, advisories would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Unless you positively can not do it and your family is ok with you being gone, you have to move to base. Best case scenario and it’s a “stress free” commute, you’ll be away from home on your days off trying to get to and from work. I’ve commuted a couple of times short term while waiting for bases or to take advantage of upgrading and it’s just a miserable experience. I still don’t know how people do it long term.
Not all commutes are the same and some I'd say are worth it and some aren't, given there's a choice, but not everyone would make the same choice given the same data. And not all people are cut out to commute either. I have an easy commute and I also don't sweat the details going either way so I find it super easy. There's another guy that commutes out of the same city to the same airline as me and I swear he's gonna die an early death.
I’d rather get peed on by a Great Dane than commute.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 8
Go to