Insuring a smooth transition.

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
Hey y’all, I’m looking to jump ship from my current airline into a Legacy Airline. I have heard a lot of horror stories about pilots that already gave their two weeks notice and about to start class at their next airline, and then it gets canceled last minute.

this got me to thinking how can I ensure that if my class date gets postponed or canceled then I don’t get stuck unemployed because I already left.

I was thinking, maybe just calling in sick at my current airline until I’ve already started my first class at the new airline? Or maybe just plan your new class during your days off at your last airline. I don’t wanna do anything that would get me in trouble or burn a bridge.

Have you done something similar?
Quote: Hey y’all, I’m looking to jump ship from my current airline into a Legacy Airline. I have heard a lot of horror stories about pilots that already gave their two weeks notice and about to start class at their next airline, and then it gets canceled last minute.

this got me to thinking how can I ensure that if my class date gets postponed or canceled then I don’t get stuck unemployed because I already left.

I was thinking, maybe just calling in sick at my current airline until I’ve already started my first class at the new airline? Or maybe just plan your new class during your days off at your last airline. I don’t wanna do anything that would get me in trouble or burn a bridge.

I left your same airline for a Legacy a couple years ago. While I was in INDOC at my Legacy I was out sick at Spirit. I did already give my two weeks and worked some reserve days in between that. But my last 4-day block of reserve I was out sick and in new hire class. I did not get paid for those sick days and I waited until after my full two weeks was up before I returned my equipment.

Edit: I did originally plan on giving Spirit a full two weeks however my Legacy called with a spot that just opened up on a class date 10 days away and seniority means everything so I couldn't pass it up. I immediately submitted my two weeks knowing that I would be gone before that happened. That is when I used my sick, to cover my last few days of reserve. FYI, Spirit does not pay sick time if it occurs during your two week notice.
Quote: Hey y’all, I’m looking to jump ship from my current airline into a Legacy Airline. I have heard a lot of horror stories about pilots that already gave their two weeks notice and about to start class at their next airline, and then it gets canceled last minute.

Definitely call in sick while in new hire training. Don’t be a fool and leave sick time behind. Heck go negative. I forge DR notes too if you’re interested.

I thought you were kidding, but guess people are retarded. I personally know two people who called in sick at the previous airline while in new hire training. The former notified the latter and they were fired from both airlines on the same day.
Quote: I thought you were kidding, but guess people are retarded. I personally know two people who called in sick at the previous airline while in new hire training. The former notified the latter and they were fired from both airlines on the same day.
This post is 100% accurate. The sarcasm was strong in your first post for those of us that have been around. I was worried newer pilots wouldn’t pick up on it.

From an employer’s personal you’re demonstrating sick time abuse on probation. They will reach out to your former airline, also PRIA might track your severance dates.

Aviation is a small world and pilot hiring is slowing. Personally I wouldn’t want to risk being employed at one airline while in new hire class for another.

I would do what I consider the right thing and put my two weeks notice in before leaving for the new gig. Use the sick time prior to that.
Quote: I thought you were kidding, but guess people are retarded. I personally know two people who called in sick at the previous airline while in new hire training. The former notified the latter and they were fired from both airlines on the same day.
I’m only asking because I legitimately have heard a lot of people doing it.

but like you said, it’s probably not a good idea, so I think that answers my question.
Quote: I’m only asking because I legitimately have heard a lot of people doing it.

but like you said, it’s probably not a good idea, so I think that answers my question.
Be careful getting advice from certain people who are reflecting on their experiences that are woefully out of date and when the airline industry was a much smaller world. From at least since COVID you will not hear of a single case of a person getting let go from a Legacy because they were in INDOC while out on sick at their old airline yet I guarantee thousands have done it. Just don’t abuse it, i.e. like my situation above.
Quote: Be careful getting advice from certain people who are reflecting on their experiences that are woefully out of date and when the airline industry was a much smaller world. From at least since COVID you will not hear of a single case of a person getting let go from a Legacy because they were in INDOC while out on sick at their old airline yet I guarantee thousands have done it. Just don’t abuse it, i.e. like my situation above.
Sure you could go this route. Gamble a multi million dollar career over a sick call.

You do you though.
Quote: Be careful getting advice from certain people who are reflecting on their experiences that are woefully out of date and when the airline industry was a much smaller world. From at least since COVID you will not hear of a single case of a person getting let go from a Legacy because they were in INDOC while out on sick at their old airline yet I guarantee thousands have done it. Just don’t abuse it, i.e. like my situation above.
We had a guy who didn’t make it through Legacy Indoc after leaving their previous airline. They tried to come back and the previous airline entertained the idea until they saw the sick calls they blitzed through at the end. Oops.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to