Hypothetical Question

Subscribe
3  4  5  6  7 
Page 7 of 7
Go to
Contribute to the discussion.
Quote: Hey FlyerJosh- check this out....

http://sickcert.proboards3.com/index.cgi
Just checking by guys, ive recieved so many hits from this single post its incredible.

Good Luck!
It is theoretically possible that a propeller driven aircraft with an abundance of power could throw enough propwash to generate a sufficient deflected slipstream against flaps and over elevator control surfaces creating enough lift for the aircraft to fly itself off the conveyor belt.
How long is the conveyor belt?
Just watched a mythbusters segment of that question, Their plane took off. So I'm going to say yes the plane can take off because mythbusters 'kind of" proved it.
Come on . . . seriously? This thread doesn't need to be revived.

Somebody please lock it and save us all the trouble.
NOOOO, LET IT DIE(of course by me posting, I brought it back again)

Close it!
Quote: Just watched a mythbusters segment of that question, Their plane took off. So I'm going to say yes the plane can take off because mythbusters 'kind of" proved it.
This is a hypothetical, and hypothetically speaking such a magical conveyor cannot be replicated in real life. The instant the wheel would speed up, so would the conveyor, without any delay. The increase in speed would be so great and so rapid that the wheels would burst. But since this is a magical conveyor, with magical wheels, they won't, so now the friction becomes the only force really holding the aircraft back. Eventually it will become so great (due to the rapidly accelerating conveyor) that it will become enough of a rearward acting force to become at equilibrium with the forward force the engines are producing and hold the aircraft back from accelerating and gaining airspeed.
Quote:
A plane is standing on runway that can move (some sort of band conveyor). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyor moves in the opposite direction. This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction).

The question is:

Will the plane take off or not?

[Emphasis added]

The plane moves...

Therefore, the plane flies.

END OF THREAD

Thanks everyone and you Tony. I think we've beat this dead horse to death, wouldn't y'all say?

Thread closed.
3  4  5  6  7 
Page 7 of 7
Go to