UPS to suspend hiring THROUGH 2008

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 3 of 6
Go to
Quote: First off, where are you going to park the airplanes, during most pushes we only have 3-4 open parking positions. We would need to double the parking positions from 12 to approx 22.

FF
I don't think this will be a problem. UPS may have to change locations at the airport, but there will be plenty of room when the need arises. Check out page 319 of the airport master plan:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/anc/busin.../ANCmaster.pdf

99% of airports would jump through hoops to see an airline double the number of flights, including making room.

Off topic, but there is other info in that master plan such as a possible new supplemental airport for air cargo in Anchorage.
Quote: Does it matter where you park the airplanes when you're deciding where to park the crews?
YES ... ... unless you can get the crew van to deliver from lot 1 and 2 SDF to ANC, but that still is not transportation that is considered local in nature ...

But we do have this option ...

Airborne refueling has gone on for years ... but airborne crew replacement is still being worked out ... ...

Later, CC

PS... if your SARCASM light is not illuminated, it is time to replace the bulb !
Quote: I don't think this will be a problem. UPS may have to change locations at the airport, but there will be plenty of room when the need arises.

99% of airports would jump through hoops to see an airline double the number of flights, including making room.
We're not Southwest ... no airport is jumping thru hoops for anybody but SWA when it comes to increasing flights ...

As always ... the dollar speaks louder than words !

later, CC
Quote: no airport is jumping thru hoops for anybody but SWA when it comes to increasing flights ...
I disagree - the airport business is very competitive and incentive programs for new flights are very common. FedEx is in MEM instead of Little Rock because of the support MEM gave back in the day.

Quote: As always ... the dollar speaks louder than words !

later, CC
And no one has more $$$ than UPS! UPS might be behind the curve on planning, but I'm sure ANC will be ready to play ball. If and when we need space in ANC, we will get it.
Quote: I disagree - the airport business is very competitive and incentive programs for new flights are very common. FedEx is in MEM instead of Little Rock because of the support MEM gave back in the day.

And no one has more $$$ than UPS! If and when we need space in ANC, we will get it.

Only if we are willing to spend it ...
Quote: Hey FliFast,

Well thought-out and rational posts like that are not allowed here because they don't scare people. Good post!
I was gonna say the same - your post doesn't belong here - it's too logical - we need more doomish and gloomish posts to enjoy ourselves...

...Sooo, when are the furlough letters supposed to be sent out?
J Dawg,

Some good info in your posts, thanks for the link about ANC. I'm still a little skeptical about 600 pilots based in ANC by the end of 2008 because of the following:

The current sort facility in ANC: Can it handle a doubling of volume ? If we relocate it to another part of the airport, how many years away would a new facility take to build, keeping in mind no construction to date has taken place west of Runway 14-32.

Will we increase volume at the ANC sort by increasing the size of each bank -or- by adding more banks so as to spread the volume out over more hours in the day ? Is it possible to add more banks and still coincide with our product's requirements ? i.e Next Day Air, 2-Day air.

Airways facilities: The info on the ANC Master plan shows delays this decade ranging from 0-15 minutes, but next decade they range from 20-60 mins. New taxiways are proposed in the Master Plan, but again the only construction I've seen is the transient parking positions between the passenger terminal and the FedEx ramp. And, of course the newhire dormitory near the guard shack, complete with Wifi and Air conditioning.

Finally, a short term problem, with 600 domiciled pilots in ANC and maybe 15-20 airplanes on the ground per bank, will this be a satellite domicile to the proposed China Hub (ala SDF was to ANC prior to it becoming a crew base).

This goes back to Roberto's posts, why worry about where to park the planes when it's more important where to park the pilots...simply, we hope the boxheads are reading reports like the one you posted J Dawg and thinking about ALL the angles, not just from a one-dimensional aspect like pilot-staffing.

Back to the original thread...UPS won't be doing any hiring next year ? Who's next to comment......

FF
Quote:

let's see...I was off for 6 days and got 8 JA calls from scheduling desperate for me to do anything for them.

No need for hirings all of 2008? I find that laughable!

Nice try dude.
Sorry, but it's True. BT and PD has said so Friday.
Quote: J Dawg,

Some good info in your posts, thanks for the link about ANC. I'm still a little skeptical about 600 pilots based in ANC by the end of 2008 because of the following:

The current sort facility in ANC: Can it handle a doubling of volume ? If we relocate it to another part of the airport, how many years away would a new facility take to build, keeping in mind no construction to date has taken place west of Runway 14-32.

Will we increase volume at the ANC sort by increasing the size of each bank -or- by adding more banks so as to spread the volume out over more hours in the day ? Is it possible to add more banks and still coincide with our product's requirements ? i.e Next Day Air, 2-Day air.

Airways facilities: The info on the ANC Master plan shows delays this decade ranging from 0-15 minutes, but next decade they range from 20-60 mins. New taxiways are proposed in the Master Plan, but again the only construction I've seen is the transient parking positions between the passenger terminal and the FedEx ramp. And, of course the newhire dormitory near the guard shack, complete with Wifi and Air conditioning.

Finally, a short term problem, with 600 domiciled pilots in ANC and maybe 15-20 airplanes on the ground per bank, will this be a satellite domicile to the proposed China Hub (ala SDF was to ANC prior to it becoming a crew base).

This goes back to Roberto's posts, why worry about where to park the planes when it's more important where to park the pilots...simply, we hope the boxheads are reading reports like the one you posted J Dawg and thinking about ALL the angles, not just from a one-dimensional aspect like pilot-staffing.

Back to the original thread...UPS won't be doing any hiring next year ? Who's next to comment......

FF
FF,
You have some great points. However answer a few more questions if you would (I'm new enough to fear an ANC displacement).

The current sort facility in ANC: Does it have to double? Could the jets arrive with the bins pre-sorted? It would depend on how many aircraft in / versus out / from where to where / and time. Logistics is a shell game of what tools you have to move your commodity spread over time.

I was domiciled in ANC previously and noticed that cargo moves like pax carriers in banks (data is 10 years old concerning ANC). Is there a possibility that we could de-bank arrivals such that more flow could be accounted for without increases in ramp space?
Thanks,
Biff
Quote: Off topic, but there is other info in that master plan such as a possible new supplemental airport for air cargo in Anchorage.
Does that master plan say anything about re-naming the airport after that sleaze bag Ted Stevens goes to jail ?
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 3 of 6
Go to