Search
Notices
Military Military Aviation

US Customs Border Patrol

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM
twheel

Question US Customs Border Patrol

Does anyone know anything about flying for the Border Patrol? I visited their website but the information they post is very limited. I’d like to find out more about…

What aircraft do they fly?
Where are the bases?
How do they decide who gets what base? Is it a bidding system like the airlines?
What are the schedules like?
What are the upgrade times?
Any other info would be great! Thanks.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: KC-135T

CBP is pretty hard to get into, but they need people. I have 2 friends that just got hired recently. One is in FLETC and the other is going soon.

1. They fly all different kinds of planes, from Citations to 210s to Helos and even Predators. The great thing is that you can be qualified on 3 at a time. Meaning today you fly the citation tomorrow you fly single pilot in a 210

2. Bases are all over the borders. Many of the bases are on the southern border, obviously.

3. They pick you base, based on needs. you can request top three choices, but they put you where they need or want you. No you dont bid on anything.

4. schedules are like a regular law enforcement job. You work 8-12 hour days. Home every night

5. Not sure about upgrade times. They want you to have 1500TT when you apply.

Its a career thing. You most likely will want to stay there 20yrs so you can get the sweet government retirement. You must be 40 before going to FLETC.

Go you USAjobs and you can find the listing they are taking applications through 1 April 08. Its a pretty sweet deal, if you can handle the whole government employees BS. If you have anymore questions just ask, I'll try to find out.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

There use to be a requirement that you had to be able to have 20 year total combined federal service by the age of 55..yes 55 ...as that is their mandated retirement age.

Not sure if that is still a factor or not.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

I thought the max age was 40 on the date of hire?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Age 40 is now the max hire age. The best source of info I've found is APTAP (Army pilots to airline pilots). Just google APTAP and go to the general forum. The latest announcement that went thru APR 08 has been cancelled, all hiring has been shifted to the MSP office. No word on when it will be readvertised.

The application took me about a month, you will not be able to use a standard airline resume. Mine ended up at 5 pages. Also, most applicants will be able to claim 5 or 10 points veteran's preference, which can be hard to overcome if you have no combat time.

Good luck, PM me if you want more resume detail...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 767 FO

There is more info on APTAP about CBP than you could read in a month. Start scrolling through the posts. www.aptap.org is back up and running or you could google aptap forum.

I have a couple of friends that got hired. Didn't seem difficult, just a bit time consuming and a lot of waiting around for the "next step."
Old 10-25-2007, 04:39 PM
On Reserve

Where are their bases located?
Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by shadow95 View Post
Where are their bases located?

Pilots are assigned to perform aviaition law enforcement operations for the detection, prevention, interdiction, and apprehension of terrorist, terrorist weapons and other contraband and persons from illegally entering or attacking the United States. Pilots perform work over land and water.

1.A Current FAA Commercial Pilot Certification with the following ratings: airplane, single engine land with instrument rating OR multi engine land; OR rotorcraft helicopter with instrument rating. Other certificates that meet or exceed the requirements of the Commercial Pilot are also acceptable (e.g., an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate).

2.A Current FAA Class I Medical Certificate for initial entry or re-entry into the occupation

3.A documented log reflecting a minimum of 1500 hours total flight time: 100 airplane hours and/or helicopter hours within the last 12 months; and 250 hours Pilot-in-Command; and 75 hours instrument and/or night hours.

Phoenix, AZ
Tucson, AZ
Yuma, AZ
El Centro, CA
San Diego, CA
Homestead, FL
Jacksonville, FL
Hammond, LA
Houlton, ME
Plattsburgh, NY
New York, NY
Aguadilla, PR
Great Falls, MT
Albuquerque, NM
Buffalo, NY
Grand Forks, ND
Del Rio, TX
Detroit, MI
Corpus Christi, TX
El Paso, TX
Laredo, TX
Marfa, TX
McAllen, TX
San Angelo, TX
San Antonio, TX
Uvalde, TX
Bellingham, WA
Spokane, WA
Old 10-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: .

I'm looking into the border patrol myself. What you aren't told is that you must have some military background to pass the interview. My buddy just told me that the minimum score on the interview is 95, whihc is achieved with veterans preference. The most that a civilian can achieve is a score of 90, which won't get you the job...

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: .

anyone recently go through the hiring process, or have current information on the process. I sent in my application, received an email, but not sure what to expect next...