New FAA Administrator

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Could be a good thing:

Former Commercial Pilot to Head FAA
A former Topgun Navy fighter pilot who went on to fly commercial jetliners is being nominated to run the Federal Aviation Administration for the next five years.

Now acting FAA administrator, Robert A. Sturgell, 48, who goes by Bobby, will be nominated by President Bush for promotion by Congress to the permanent position.

"Bobby has worked tirelessly to modernize our nation's air traffic control system," White House press secretary Dana Perino said Tuesday.

"He has over three decades of real world experience in the field."

Before entering government at the transportation safety board, Sturgell was a flight operations supervisor and a line pilot for United Airlines. He flew Boeing 757s and 767s in domestic and international operations.

Earlier, he served as a Navy fighter pilot and was an instructor at the Navy Fighter Weapons School, known as Topgun where the Navy trains its best pilots in advanced air combat tactics. He flew the F-14, F-18, F-16 and A-4 aircraft.

"He shares the president's strong commitment to continuing to preserve the safest period of aviation on record," Perino said. She called on Congress to swiftly confirm him to a full five-year term.

Sturgell moved up from deputy FAA administrator to acting administrator when Marion C. Blakey's term ended on Sept. 13. He had previously served as her senior policy adviser when she headed the National Transportation Safety Board before moving to FAA.

He has also practiced aviation law with the Washington firm of Shaw Pittman.

A graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and the University of Virginia law school, Sturgell and his wife, Lynn, have a son and live in Owings, Md.
Pretty crazy idea putting a pilot in charge of the FAA.
Quote: Pretty crazy idea putting a pilot in charge of the FAA.
Pilot? I thought they said he was a Navy guy.
Pretty impressive credentials actually....

Academy grad, mil pilot, civ pilot, law degree.

...just wonder where his political connections lie.

...anyone heard/know this guy from USNA or the flying world?
Quote: Pretty impressive credentials actually....

I agree. Very impressive credentials, with the exception of his military service and choice of college. As for his political connections, where do you think someone who goes by the name "Bobby" would side? My guess is he's in the GWB camp. All the above aside, he sounds like a great candidate for the job. Good luck to him.
Quote: Pilot? I thought they said he was a Navy guy.
If you don't think that is funny then get the hey out of here!

Well done.
uhmmm
Quote: Pretty impressive credentials actually....

Not to mention assistant Faa administrator.

Only 48 (or did they say 46?), sounds like he has done a touch and go every where he's been. He's not that much older than me and "appears on paper to be quite a bit more accomplished than most of us". Of course, using my relativism, I could just be a tremendous slouch.

I knew guys like this in the AF.....ticket punchers....usually they are a disappointment. Someone has to be assigned behind them to clean up the mess they make when their "grooming" takes them somewhere else.
Quote: If you don't think that is funny then get the hey out of here!

Well done.
Yep.......the Navy produces Aviators..........
Quote: Not to mention assistant Faa administrator.

Only 48 (or did they say 46?), sounds like he has done a touch and go every where he's been. He's not that much older than me and "appears on paper to be quite a bit more accomplished than most of us". Of course, using my relativism, I could just be a tremendous slouch.

I knew guys like this in the AF.....ticket punchers....usually they are a disappointment. Someone has to be assigned behind them to clean up the mess they make when their "grooming" takes them somewhere else.
LJ,
Just curious........How does one do a "Touch and go" at the USNA, Mil Commitment, UAL, and Virginia Law School? Ignoring UAL (as we don't know how long he was there) I count a min. of 14 years....4+6+4=14.......
Quote: Yep.......the Navy produces Aviators..........
Yes, I am one of those. A Naval Aviator. I too have worn the wings of gold.

I can laugh at myself, and that was still funny.

1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to