VT Air Guard pilot grounded after Fenway Park flyover w/ Vid

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGsHszYnYMI

Vermont Air Guard pilot grounded after Fenway Park flyover

By WILSON RING, Associated Press Writer Apr 10, 8:56 pm EDT

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP)—A Vermont Air National Guard pilot who took part in a flyover of Fenway Park during opening day ceremonies has been grounded for making an improper maneuver near the park, a Guard spokesman said Thursday.
The F-16 pilot flew under and over the other three F-16s in the formation at about 1,200 feet over Boston on Tuesday afternoon because he was going too fast and was late joining the formation, Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Lloyd Goodrow said.
“It is a legitimate maneuver. It is normally done at 5,000 feet or above,” Goodrow said. “The crowd loved it, but it was not a planned maneuver.”
Goodrow would not release the name of the pilot.
People at Fenway Park or watching the Boston Red Sox’s opening day ceremonies on television saw three planes flying wing tip to wing tip when the fourth plane approached from behind and then appeared to curve around the other aircraft.

Goodrow said it was not an acrobatic stunt.
“At no time was the public in danger,” Goodrow said. “Our pilot is a very skilled pilot. He maintained full control of the airplane.”
Red Sox spokesman John Blake said Thursday the team hadn’t heard any complaints about the maneuver.
“I think we were made aware of it today by the Green Mountain Boys,” Blake said Thursday. “Nobody here has had a lot of time to find out what happened.”
Goodrow said Guard officials saw the maneuver on television.
“We all said, ‘Wow, that’s not right.’ All the aviators knew what was going on,” Goodrow said. “They said, ‘That was a bit unusual.”’
The pilot was suspended after he landed back at the Burlington International Airport in South Burlington.
“The pilot has been grounded, not as a punishment but so we can provide remedial training in tactics and procedures so this situation does not happen again,” Goodrow said. “He might have made other choices to rejoin the formation.”
There was no word on how long the pilot would remain grounded.
Source :
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
It did look like a sloppy and unplanned roll. Not sure if it warranted being grounded though.
I've deployed with and alongside the GMB three times. True professionals and a great bunch of dudes. It did look like #4 was out to lunch on his "overshoot" maneuver, but I've heard of the same type of maneuver happening on the tanker in the weather(as a result of spatial disorientation). Most likely a new guy. Just guessing. I still wouldn't want to be that guy.
Somewhat less than elegant.
Quote: I've deployed with and alongside the GMB three times. True professionals and a great bunch of dudes. It did look like #4 was out to lunch on his "overshoot" maneuver, but I've heard of the same type of maneuver happening on the tanker in the weather(as a result of spatial disorientation). Most likely a new guy. Just guessing. I still wouldn't want to be that guy.
I know I am a Buff driver and should probably stick to bombing. However, that looked like a victory roll!!!! And I agree with above, after the FCIF I saw the other day, I would not want to be him.!!
Sorry - I'm having a hard time buying the story that he was that far out of position and decided that some type of displacement roll was warranted to try and save the rendezvous.

To all military flight leaders out there. What would you say in the debrief if a flight member did this at altitude around your formation - MUCH LESS during a fly-by?

I have met a few of the GMBs and I have a former squadron mate flying with them last I heard (hope it wasn't him) - but the whole story is not being told here IMO.

USMCFLYR
Quote: Sorry - I'm having a hard time buying the story that he was that far out of position and decided that some type of displacement roll was warranted to try and save the rendezvous.

To all military flight leaders out there. What would you say in the debrief if a flight member did this at altitude around your formation - MUCH LESS during a fly-by?

I have met a few of the GMBs and I have a former squadron mate flying with them last I heard (hope it wasn't him) - but the whole story is not being told here IMO.

USMCFLYR
Yeah, if you're gonna lag roll to kill energy it wouldn't be around the formation when you're on the outside...he's got big brass one's though!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RgCnYTVS1uo

This is either just before they flew over Fenway or just after, but they seem to be in some semblance of a formation in this clip.
No doubt about the "big brass ones" though.......agree totally; unfortunately - he must not have cared much for his future flying career. USN leadership has taken wings lately for less than what is shown on that video.

I found this clip on YouTube just as a contrast. It is from my squadron's fly-by at the 2008 Rose Bowl game. Notice how long before the actual fly-by that the flight is in formation.

My question about the F-16 fly-by is HOW did a formation member get SO FAR out of position approaching the actual stadium. Plus - don't know about the GMB fly-by and the limits - but ours are NLT 1,000' and 250 kts. We often do dirty passes in the diamond (gear/flaps/hook down) in past squadrons.

USMCFLYR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXD0c...eature=related
Never mind I saw the video link
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to