UNITEDUSAIRWAYS announcement within weeks

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
...with an expectation of announcing within two weeks that they are combining, a person close to the negotiations told The Associated Press on Monday.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080428/unite...ways.html?.v=1
I think United is fishing without any bait on the hook hoping they'll catch "something" soon. Unfortunately, a sinking ship buying another sinking ship isn't going to accomplish much besides taking on more water and helping the sinking process along. UAL's rush to get something done quickly is alarming. Tilton's management has not been good and I think everyone is on to his game now.
How would this merger work for pilots given the whole USAPA thing?
Quote: How would this merger work for pilots given the whole USAPA thing?
That's a good question...

Maybe the combined pilot group would vote on which representation they would like?

ALPA could be back in before you know it.. !
The UAL pilots and the Westies would combine and vote in ALPA. Easties get stapled. Just kidding.
I'm not sure if this is true but, rumor has it that per Bond-McCatskill, when two airlines merge that are represented by different unions the SLI must be DOH?

I'm not trying to flame, but does anyone know if this is true?

If so, the East guys made a brilliant move for themselves.....
Quote: I'm not sure if this is true but, rumor has it that per Bond-McCatskill, when two airlines merge that are represented by different unions the SLI must be DOH?

Ah you must be listening to the east side. The law calls for binding arbitration if you can;t agree on a list, same as alpa policy.
Quote: I'm not sure if this is true but, rumor has it that per Bond-McCatskill, when two airlines merge that are represented by different unions the SLI must be DOH?

No, it must be "Fair and Equitable." DOH is certainly not that. You can't staple either. Also Allegheny/Mohawk come into play, and nowhere does it say DOH.

The east guys will be ALPA again when the UAL and westies force the issue. All they did was put themselves at a disadvantage vis a vis a merger with an ALPA carrier.
Tilton and Parker have been the biggest advocates of mergers for years. Hopefully this merger will go through. I still think UAL/CAL would have been better for the industry, but UAL/LCC can still help pricing power.

If the industry continues to not accept mergers and the pricing power that comes with them, we will continue to see airlines fold as they price themselves out of business. CAL made a bad choice.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to