good books?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 5 of 8
Go to
Bomber pilot by Phip Ardery

Starship Troopers by Heinlen. (Absolutely nothing like the craptastic movie)
A couple of Cormac McCarthy titles:

Blood Meridian-In the top 50 of all time. Set in the old west and I don't like westerns but this book is more of a philosophical statement. The writing is fantastic and has been compared to Melville, but this isn't for the squeamish and it may not please those with romantic notions about life.

No Country for Old Men-Set in the new west, a lot of reflection on the current human condition. Good and evil, and how we make our way despite the challenges. As much philosophy and the study of human qualities as it is a story. Not for the for those upset by blood or moral delimma.
Flight Patterns: A Century of Stories About F
Currently relishing in last year's most favored Christmas present, "Flight Patterns", a selection of short stories on flying featuring some of my favorite authors- David Seadris, Roald Dahl, James Salter, and some surprising new ones, as well. Some I loved, some I hated, some inspired and some bored me to tears but I have savored each one thoroughly. An absolutely brilliant collection of stories that will most certainly recharge that first passion for aviation.
Lion's game was an awesome book. Cecil Demille just came out with the sequal that's all over the airport book stores.
Awesome book titled "The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. It really put a lot of things into perspective for me. Definitely a great read and something I'd recommend for everyone.
"The Shack" by William P. Young.

Powerful!

atp
Just read 1776. Excellent. Anyone know if ken folletts series are over or is he coming out with more?
'Moondog's Academy of the Air & Other Disasters'! I'm surprised it's only been mentioned once in this thread. Super funny, way-embellished stories of a Legacy pilot's road to the majors.

'Hard Landing: The Epic Contest for Power and Profits That Plunged the Airlines into Chaos' is a good one I didn't see listed yet. Big book but reads like a story. Should be required reading for an airline pilot.
Any of Len Morgan's compilations from his column in Flying.

Anything by Derek Robinson, in particular his WWI RFC trilogy and WWII RAF trilogy.
Anything by Malcolm Gladwell

I've read "outliers", "what the dog saw" and "tipping point", all excellent sociology books
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 
Page 5 of 8
Go to