Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
What's it like to teach at Purdue? >

What's it like to teach at Purdue?

Search
Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

What's it like to teach at Purdue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:32 AM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

There are a handful of students that complete regular flight courses over the summer...normally less than 15 (from my observations). Its a good way to catch up if you are 'behind' due to CODO (transfer into the program) or if you want to get ahead in your ratings.

Personally, the 15 hour XC requirement is better done on your own time and own dime...it will provide MUCH more flexibility than Purdue's course in terms of places you can go. It'll also provide much more confidence and experience for the students to do it this way, as Purdue's strong safety culture places massive restrictions on solo operations that (IMO) do little to foster individual ADM development that would naturally occur with experience and a little mentoring.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Desk

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
There are a handful of students that complete regular flight courses over the summer...normally less than 15 (from my observations). Its a good way to catch up if you are 'behind' due to CODO (transfer into the program) or if you want to get ahead in your ratings.
That's how it was last Summer. About 15-20 flight students (most CODO's), and LG said it was the most they have had during the Summer that he could remember. Most of those students were either 248 or 253 students who were also doing the sim classes.

rotorhead1026: Since flying is done as a "class" and Purdue uses 2 semester class schedules, there is no time to take off during the winter. Obviously, there are lots of days in December and January we can't fly. However, I still prefer January over August for flight training in Indiana!

One last thing: I'm putting together my application for grad school and have been talking to a bunch of Professors about the specifics. If anyone has questions about coming here for a masters, shoot me a PM.