Homebasing and your QOL

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
How come the ALPA carriers don't bargain for homebasing? It seems teamsters is the only one.
some pilots use 'long call' reserve, sitting reserve at home...
Define homebasing?
Quote: How come the ALPA carriers don't bargain for homebasing?
I've heard rumors that Delta management was running the numbers on the idea.
Quote: How come the ALPA carriers don't bargain for homebasing? It seems teamsters is the only one.
What Teamsters airline is that that has homebasing ( that runs a Part 121 airline with its own passengares?) Not including Charter, Military, or Contract lift?

There are ALPA carriers that have homebasing. But thats on charter programs. What most airlines do is offer work out Jumpseating agreements and commuting policies with their pilots.

I agree, homebasing is a great! option when talking about quality of life but you seem to imply it has something to do with being teamster or not.
Yes, but it had to be worked out that we could do it and not have the DH time from your home to your paper base count as Duty Time. There are lots of issues with it, but there are some huge positives as well.
One can hope. There would need one 757 a day for all of the DFW commuters. Current and Future.
Quote: Yes, but it had to be worked out that we could do it and not have the DH time from your home to your paper base count as Duty Time.
That's easy...it would not be built into your trip. Instead, you simply put in a monthly request for complimentary transportation to work.
Quote: Yes, but it had to be worked out that we could do it and not have the DH time from your home to your paper base count as Duty Time. There are lots of issues with it, but there are some huge positives as well.
What do think the chances are that it will come to fruition?
Slim to none. It costs money therefore it is not something that we would do. There is a real cost to this. Plus, we would have to give it to the FA's too. Add to that mechanics etc that have been displaced from their homes.
To me it is just to big of a cost to be seriously looked at.
Long call reserve is a friggin joke at UAL. That is because they can convert you to short call 7 times a month and they do whether there is a reason for it or not! It doesn't seem to have anything to do with coverage or open flying.
For instance today they had 5 short call reserve guys on the hook in LAX and not one open trip.

In all fairness after 4 short call conversions they are supposed to hit somebody else if they are available.

I was home based years ago when I flew for ATI. It worked pretty darn well.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to