Asiana Airlines Emergency Landing In SeaTac

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
All the airplanes that I know about that have a dump system make it physically impossible to dump all the fuel.

The ones that I have flown leave an undumpable quantity of 1 to 2 hours of cruise fuel consumption.

Joe
Quote: If you dump above 6000 feet the fuel evaporates prior to reaching the ground.

Many airlines will only you have you dump enough fuel to make a safe overweight landing. (767 only lets you dump from the center tanks. Means if you were fully loaded with Jet A you will still land with ~ 80K of gas. )

You can't transfer to the center tank and then dump that?

I bet the airlines just cringe when they have to dump gas!
On the triple (-200 series) you can dump everything out of the center and to the standpipes in the mains and you'll be left with 23K. The automation also lets you set a landing weight and then the jet closes the dump valves when you reach a safe landing weight.
Generally speaking, what are the ramifications of landing seriously overweight?
Quote: Generally speaking, what are the ramifications of landing seriously overweight?
so long as its a smooth touchdown,just an overweight landing inspection by a mech is required, i once had the pleasure of dumping 30000 lbs of jetA over ann arbor,when a leading edge device didnt retract on the 727-200, we were at 10000 feet,so the fuel atomized,and never touched the ground in theory.
Seriously hot brakes, and maybe some seriously blown tires, and on a seriously bad day, damaged/collapsed landing gear. Seriously.
Quote: You can't transfer to the center tank and then dump that?

I bet the airlines just cringe when they have to dump gas!
Boeing doesn't believe in allowing pilots to transfer fuel. Crossfeed yes, but not transfer while airborne.
Quote: Seriously hot brakes, and maybe some seriously blown tires, and on a seriously bad day, damaged/collapsed landing gear. Seriously.
Wow, you must be a serious guy to fly with!
Quote: Seriously hot brakes, and maybe some seriously blown tires, and on a seriously bad day, damaged/collapsed landing gear. Seriously.

Seriously,

NOT!!

Having spent 7 years as an instructor on the 777 I can seriously tell you that if you've got enough runway it is a serious non event. In fact it is often recommended to land over weight rather than dump as the over weight landing inspection is much cheaper than dumping fuel.

Seriously.
Quote: Seriously,

NOT!!

Having spent 7 years as an instructor on the 777 I can seriously tell you that if you've got enough runway it is a serious non event. In fact it is often recommended to land over weight rather than dump as the over weight landing inspection is much cheaper than dumping fuel.

Seriously.
Which serious of the 777 did you instruct? 200 or 300?
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to