IFR Alternate question

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
This is why I love this site..Thanks guys, that is a very good question that I didn't know the answer to. Going to quiz other instructors tomorrow, bet they didn't know either!
Quote: Help. I'm a CFII and I feel either a.) surrounded by idiots, or b.) an idiot myself.

This is the situation. It is a clear blue and a million day. I am filing an IFR flight plan for a flight to an airport WITHOUT an IAP. Must I file an alternate just because this airport does not have an approach?
Answer: Whatever the dispatcher says.
Quote: Answer: Whatever the dispatcher says.
Remember:

"(b) The pilot in command and the aircraft dispatcher are jointly responsible for the preflight planning, delay, and dispatch release of a flight in compliance with this chapter and operations specifications."

You may be willing to hand your certificate over to a 10 dollar an hour wonder but I'll check what they put on the release. Or you could just fly supplemental and always have an alternate.

Of course, none of this applies to the OP's question.
Quote: Help. I'm a CFII and I feel either a.) surrounded by idiots, or b.) an idiot myself.

This is the situation. It is a clear blue and a million day. I am filing an IFR flight plan for a flight to an airport WITHOUT an IAP. Must I file an alternate just because this airport does not have an approach? I was under the impression that if the weather at your destination was GREATER THAN the 1-2-3 rule, you were kosher to NOT file an alternate. Please shed some light on this.

Thanks.
Yes, you do! An alternate is required in your flight plan UNLESS an instrument approach is published AND the required weather minima are met. However there is never any requirement to actually fly to the filed alternate, even in solid IMC, you can always choose another field if one is available.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to