Another worthless age 65 question/musing

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 8
Go to
That article from two years ago was intersting to read. It did quite a good job of foreshadwoing the issues we are discussing today. I guess I still would have prefered the rule be instituted in phases. Moot point now.
Why the sudden push for 65?
Quote: I only wish the older guys would just be honest about why they wanted this, quit trying to sugarcoat it.
I suspect the "pension dumping" had a lot to do with it. Before that happened, working past age 60 wouldn't have yielded enough additional after-tax income to be an attractive prospect for most guys. That's probably why proposals to extend the retirement age gained little traction in the past. Just a guess, since I retired at age 55, a few years before the rule changed.
Quote: As usual the senior "union" pilots threw the junior guys under the bus for their own financial gain. nothing new here same ole story
I think it goes well beyond just senior pilots. The generation those senior pilots belong to will go down as the most selfish in history. The 2005 editorial below points out just how greedy early baby boomers have been. Those who pushed for the age change when it no longer benefited them as they were approaching their 60th birthday were just acting like their Greediest Generation peers. The losers in their selfish game won't be just junior pilots. As the author points out, the biggest losers will be America's children. Sadly, members of groups like APAAD are just a symptom of a much larger illness..

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/op...01kristof.html
So its not just the senior pilot groups that pushed us junior guys under the bus your whole generation is going to do it to my whole generation?
" Sadly, members of groups like APAAD are just a symptom of a much larger illness.."

I've read, and heard statements like this before. It was in the 1950's, and they were directed at the NAACP.
Quote: So its not just the senior pilot groups that pushed us junior guys under the bus your whole generation is going to do it to my whole generation?
Well lets face it, no one in our generation ( the next one) will see a dime of SS, even though we will have paid a good chunk of our life long earings.
Gen X'ers we are slated to pay the huge bill come due built by and for the baby boomers.
Quote: " Sadly, members of groups like APAAD are just a symptom of a much larger illness.."

I've read, and heard statements like this before. It was in the 1950's, and they were directed at the NAACP.
The most ridiculous and out of line reach I have ever read on these boards. Care to comment on the contents of the editorial? If not, keep your flamebait comments to yourself.
Quote: The most ridiculous and out of line reach I have ever read on these boards. Care to comment on the contents of the editorial? If not, keep your flamebait comments to yourself.

Why would I waste my time commenting on the contents of the editorial. There is nothing I could possibly say that would change your mind. After all I'm just a, how did you phrase it, " symptom of a greater illness" One of a generation of greedy people taking food out of the mouths of children. Reread your own post before going off on me Dawg.
I'll post what I like. The moderators can sort out the flamebait.
Quote: Why would I waste my time commenting on the contents of the editorial. There is nothing I could possibly say that would change your mind. After all I'm just a, how did you phrase it, " symptom of a greater illness" One of a generation of greedy people taking food out of the mouths of children. Reread your own post before going off on me Dawg.
I'll post what I like. The moderators can sort out the flamebait.
I understand. You have no real defense of your generations greedy actions, including yours as a member of APAAD. It's all about changing the rules to help you at the expense of everyone younger than you, just like the author points out your whole generation is in the midst of doing. So instead of an intelligent rebuttal, you think of the most atrocious comparison possible, even though it has no relevance, and throw it out there. That tells me you have no intelligent rebuttal to that editorial. Thanks for your lack of input. Your silence speaks volumes.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7 
Page 3 of 8
Go to