FDX - First-Class Deadhead Deviation Question

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if I can book a first-class deviation ticket even if the original pairing's deadhead is booked in coach? The original pairing deadheads from SFO to MEM (non-stop, less than 5 block hours), however I want to book from SFO to the east coast (greater than 5 block hours). Here's the catch, the deviation flight has a connection, thus the total block is > 5 hours, but each leg is < 5 hours.

From the CBA:
A class of service higher than coach shall be authorized if:
a deadhead exceeds 5 scheduled block hours;

Thanks!
Quote: Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if I can book a first-class deviation ticket even if the original pairing's deadhead is booked in coach? The original pairing deadheads from SFO to MEM (non-stop, less than 5 block hours), however I want to book from SFO to the east coast (greater than 5 block hours). Here's the catch, the deviation flight has a connection, thus the total block is > 5 hours, but each leg is < 5 hours.

From the CBA:
A class of service higher than coach shall be authorized if:
a deadhead exceeds 5 scheduled block hours;

Thanks!
Yes. You can book First Class. However, you only get the bank from your originally scheduled coach class ticket.
Yes you can book first class in this case. Block hours are cumulative.
Thanks guys!
SM
Can also book it for a short leg on the way home if you don't have a legal rest prior to your DH (assumes the duty day is long enough to meet the 11:30duty day contract guidance)
I have done what you are considering many times ... no problem (sometimes I have to book AA through DFW so that it ends up being >5 hours.
Quote: Can also book it for a short leg on the way home if you don't have a legal rest prior to your DH (assumes the duty day is long enough to meet the 11:30duty day contract guidance)
As I understand it, the deadhead counts towards the duty day, correct.

I am operating from SLC to MEM, day hub turning, then on a different pairing operating to DTW, with a back-end deadhead.

I start my day at 1200Z in SLC (show time) and end up in DTW at 2213Z (block in). That's 9:13 duty. The deadhead I want doesn't get in until 0245Z the next day. That's 14:45 hours of duty time without a legal rest period.

When I called corporate travel to book the ticket in first class, the agent refused to do it, saying I didn't have 11:30 duty. I say I do...

Who's right?
You are deviating, correct?

"the deadhead I want......"

Global Travel isn't counting the DEVIATION Back-End Deadhead from your long day.

I think that is the difference.
Quote: When I called corporate travel to book the ticket in first class, the agent refused to do it, saying I didn't have 11:30 duty. I say I do...

Who's right?
Sounds like somebody needs to get a tripmanager account and take corporate travel out of the loop. I haven't talked to those guys in 3 years - it's a beautiful thing.
Quote: You are deviating, correct?

"the deadhead I want......"

Global Travel isn't counting the DEVIATION Back-End Deadhead from your long day.

I think that is the difference.
You're right, I am deviating...

Should the deviation back end deadhead count towards the duty time?

Thanks.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to