SkyWest Airlines

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
I was just looking around the for openings to gauge what is going on in the industry, due to me wanting to be a pilot for a company after training in the next 2.5-5 years! Anyways here you go ladies and gentleman.... good luck for whomever applies!

SkyWest Airlines

Requisition Number: 09-0544
Post Date: 12/22/2009
Closing Date: 1/23/2010
Title: First Officer Pilot
City: Open
Minimum Hiring Range: Will discuss at interview
Department: Flight Operations
Description: CLICK HERE FIRST to learn more about; Minimum Requirements, Training, Pay, Reserve, Domiciles and the Interview Process. Then click on the link below to complete an application.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
  • Assist the PIC in conducting the flight safely and efficiently
  • Assist the PIC and/or passenger service personnel as needed to ensure a prompt departure
  • Assist or relieve the pilot-in-command (PIC) in manipulation of the flight controls of an aircraft while underway, including taxiing, takeoff and landing of such aircraft
Minimum Requirements:
  • Certificates / Ratings: Commercial/Instrument/Multi engine
  • Flight Experience: 1,000 - hours total time 100 - hours multi engine 100 - hours instrument (Max 20 hours simulator) Recency of experience will be considered
  • Medical: Must possess a current FAA Class 1 Medical Certificate. Must pass FAA mandated Drug Test
  • Authorization to work in the United States: Must have established authorization to work in the United States
  • Driver's License: Must possess a valid United States Driver's License
  • Education: Graduation from accredited, four-year college preferred
Quote: I was just looking around the for openings to gauge what is going on in the industry, due to me wanting to be a pilot for a company after training in the next 2.5-5 years! Anyways here you go ladies and gentleman.... good luck for whomever applies!

Let me suggest whatever you see today, may, and probably will be, quite different in your stated time frame.

A workmate of mine was recalled to PanAm in 1989. He flunked out of training, and returned to our work place. PanAm was liquidated in 1991. Two years from "hiring" to gone.

Not saying SkW is going to be gone, but in 2006-2007, they were hiring anybody who could breath, and have 1000 hours (some even got in with slightly less). On July 3, 2008, they cancelled their new hire class scheduled for July 7. They haven't hired since. I wonder how many resigned from whatever gig they had, went on a holiday weekend trip, only to find no job?
One of the two guys I know came back to our CFI gig. Hopefully he got called back, for his sake, he's itching to get out.
Quote: Let me suggest whatever you see today, may, and probably will be, quite different in your stated time frame.

A workmate of mine was recalled to PanAm in 1989. He flunked out of training, and returned to our work place. PanAm was liquidated in 1991. Two years from "hiring" to gone.

Not saying SkW is going to be gone, but in 2006-2007, they were hiring anybody who could breath, and have 1000 hours (some even got in with slightly less). On July 3, 2008, they cancelled their new hire class scheduled for July 7. They haven't hired since. I wonder how many resigned from whatever gig they had, went on a holiday weekend trip, only to find no job?

I know that! I dont expect the same job openings today to be there in a few years from now. I just look at all the companies here in Canada and down in the United States status to gauge how the industry is changing up and down. I expect companies to open and close during my training due to economy and such. I hope I am more clear now
Quote: I know that! I dont expect the same job openings today to be there in a few years from now. I just look at all the companies here in Canada and down in the United States status to gauge how the industry is changing up and down. I expect companies to open and close during my training due to economy and such. I hope I am more clear now
SKW is only looking to hire about 150 or so... It's gonna be like trying to win the lotto, but you'll never win if you don't play.
Quote: I know that! I dont expect the same job openings today to be there in a few years from now. I just look at all the companies here in Canada and down in the United States status to gauge how the industry is changing up and down. I expect companies to open and close during my training due to economy and such. I hope I am more clear now
I believe you are doing the right thing despite of what you read on these replies, actually it is always a good idea to try to look at the picture as a whole, rather than with a microscope, it is going to pick up sooner than later. It was a tragedy in 2001-2002 and then a hiring frenzy 2006-2007. Just don't get into this for the money, do it because you love flying as most of us do. Good luck!
Quote: SKW is only looking to hire about 150 or so... It's gonna be like trying to win the lotto, but you'll never win if you don't play.
The official hiring number is 16 pilots. I hope we will hire more though!
16? that's tough
Quote: I believe you are doing the right thing despite of what you read on these replies, actually it is always a good idea to try to look at the picture as a whole, rather than with a microscope, it is going to pick up sooner than later. It was a tragedy in 2001-2002 and then a hiring frenzy 2006-2007. Just don't get into this for the money, do it because you love flying as most of us do. Good luck!
I hear you man! I have the opportunity to become a police officer, but I do not want to settle because I know I will keep wondering how far I would have gotten in this industry. I know I am still training, but that is the beginning of the journey. I have a few legit connections already due to other jobs I have had surprisingly outside of the aviation world. For example I have done a few oil changes for people and we end up having a few conversations with some and I would mention my future goals and one person happened to be a pilot and give me their numbers and few other numbers. If I was worried about the finances I would have just stuck with becoming a cop. I know finances will not be the best for many years as I try earn jobs and get with bigger companies. One thing is for sure, I will be happy during every second of it! Money cannot buy happiness.
Quote: Money cannot buy happiness.
yes, yes it can...
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to