A sad photo

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I came across this on Airliners.net by chance. It is kind of sad I think.

dunt dunt duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnn. the graveyard of no return.
Sad, yes... especially seeing airplanes that you have flown just a few years ago
Are those to be kept in any sort of condition or are they just there to rot? Any reason they aren't being turned into beer cans?
Actually those B-52s weren't producing enough chemtrails.... so they just 86'd them...
AMARC has different levels of storage. Some planes that are just parked for a while are kept up for an easy return to flight. Once an airframe is surplus to the needs of the US military, it is parted out as the demand for parts calls for. Or it may be saved for a foreign user. At some point when most of the good parts have been removed, the scrappers are called and it's carved up.

At the begining of SALT, the planes had to sit for x amount of days after the wings came off for the Russians to get a good picture.

The sad photos are the ones from Walnut Ridge, Kingman, Goodyear, et al at the end of WWII. B32s going straight from the factory to the smelter with 2 hours total time. If someone just had a large hangar back then...
Quote: The sad photos are the ones from Walnut Ridge, Kingman, Goodyear, et al at the end of WWII. B32s going straight from the factory to the smelter with 2 hours total time. If someone just had a large hangar back then...
Yup, and it wasn't just whole airframes but gazillions of spare parts. I remember my Dad telling me how, at the end of the war in the Pacific, he saw some SeaBees wrap log chain around four brand new Allison P-38 engines, still in the crates, and use them for anchors on a pier they were building........(sigh)
Don't the buffs have to sit there like that so the Russians know we actually decommissioned them?
Quote: The sad photos are the ones from Walnut Ridge, Kingman, Goodyear, et al at the end of WWII. B32s going straight from the factory to the smelter with 2 hours total time. If someone just had a large hangar back then...
A professor of mine in college flew P-51's in WWII. He saw it also, P-51's being destroyed with nothing but the ferry time on them.
@dojetdriver: *sigh*... Just... Sad....
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to