Who Here is Actively looking to get out?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 42
Go to
Quote: slave to a broken seniority system
that about says it all
Just flew my last trip...bittersweet, but for once I am excited about the future. Once I committed, I saw that there really were a whole world of options out there!
I'm done. 2.5 years ago I hired a career coach to figure out how to turn my ship in another direction. Best thing I've done in the past 8 years. It took some time, and the economy hasn't helped, but I'll be out at the end of the year with an MBA in hand and my evenings free.

8 years (and counting) in the right seat is no place to be if anyone plans on retiring some day. 220 days/year on the road is killer on a family, and 38k/yr is bull. It's no longer a career, and no way would I ever recommend a young person pursue this job.
After about a year of looking for something else, I finally did. Saturday will be my last day "flying the line," and I'm very pleased. Although there's a lot of things I'm going to miss, my children growing up won't be one of them.

I think this career should be called a "timepit" (like a moneypit, except for time). When you invest a lot of time in a career path, you expect to see a return down the road. (i.e. better pay, better schedule, holidays off) Sure, it works like that for a few folks. But for many it doesn't, and they pour yet more time into the job, hoping for a better life in the future. And so it goes.

Once I started to see the possibilities in the "outside world," I was truly amazed at how effectively the desire to fly had impaired my priorities. Sadly, I know that none of the words in this thread will stop a new commercial pilot from filling my seat in the CRJ.
wow, I am glad I am not alone, excited for you guys that are getting out and looking forward to it as well
After a year without a job I managed to land a position within the Aviation field. Not great but at least I am a Manager and make more than I did at the airlines. I have networked and managed to make some connections for a new position down the road. It has better vacation, sick time, benefits, and pay than I could expect at a major after 20 years.

I still miss flying though. And looking ahead, that "missing of the job" seriously scares the crap out of me. I think I was one of the lucky ones. I was young and at a major when I was furloughed. I just don't know.
Yea I know would miss it, but to an extent, I miss certain things more, like having cash in the bank and being home every night
Worked at the regional level for six years. 5 years at a legacy then furloughed. Spent the last 8 of those 11 years on reserve. Getting furloughed was the best thing that ever happened to me as I don't know if I would have had the balls to pull the trigger to get out myself while still employed. It took me seven months to find a good job but I can't tell you how nice it is to have a "normal" life again and be able to make plans with friends, join softball leagues, look forward to the holidays, be with the family, etc. If I took a recall I'd make roughly twice what I make now but there is value that can't be measured in dollars in being able to do those things. At least for me. The funny thing is I spent my whole adult life chasing the airline career and after being out for a year and a half I can honestly say I don't miss it a bit and can't see that I ever will in the future either. I think happy lives are built by taking note of your values and priorities and structuring everything else around that. When you start to compromise those things for a job you get the bitter or dissappointed attitudes that seem so prevelant nowdays and in the end it just isn't worth it. Good luck to everyone and whatever you decide I hope it's what truly makes you happy.
^ inspiring, thanks for your insight
Here is my worry. I didn't mind being gone. I enjoyed it. My girlfriend of 7 years didn't mind either. We had a hard time adjusting once I was furloughed. My fear is this, as I understand it, EVERYTHING changes once you have kids. And if we have a kid and I HATE being away flying I might have given up a great oppotunity.

I wish my Dad hadn't drilled into me that, "If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life." I never felt like flying was work. But everyday I wake up for this managment job I groan.
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 42
Go to