Now I am really confused about the F-4

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to
For you Phantom fans out there... Robin Olds Memoires is out. I picked up a copy (it's in hard back) from Amazon. Just started it Monday night, and I'm 200 pages in. I start reading at night around 10 and before I know it, it's almost 2am. I'd give my first born kid to go back and time and fly with the man.

Amazon.com: Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds (9780312560232): Robin Olds, Christina Olds, Ed Rasimus: Books

I also read this one a few years ago, and highley recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Once-Fighter-P...2567013&sr=8-3
Quote: For you Phantom fans out there... Robin Olds Memoires is out. I picked up a copy (it's in hard back) from Amazon. Just started it Monday night, and I'm 200 pages in. I start reading at night around 10 and before I know it, it's almost 2am. I'd give my first born kid to go back and time and fly with the man.
We do a layover near a border's and I had a few cups of coffee while reading it. And yes, recommended. A good look at one of the last rogues who took on the system and won. His leadership and understanding of what needed to be done is exemplary. His bold moves on re-wiring the F-4 and dumping the Falcon missiles is something NO commander would dare do today. He was one of the giants. Sad that he left his affairs in such disarray.
Collings F-4D Fin-Flash Trivia
USMC and others:

I believe I now know the reason behind the change in Fin-Flash (which I hadn't noticed until this discussion):

When Collings wanted to get the airplane for their museum, it literally took an Act of Congress to do so...nuclear-capable jets aren't supposed to be released to the public. But (as I was told) Collings enlisted the political sway of Steve Ritchie. He got Senators/Congressmen to make it happen...because he was to be the pilot of it.

For one reason or another, Ritchie and Collings had a falling-out over the years. When they decided they didn't want him to fly it anymore, he tried to get his political friends to pull the plug. Example: the jet FODed the right engine about 3 years ago. Collings is supposed to have access to 5 more engines at Davis-Monthan...but the Air Force wouldn't release them. Hmmmmm.

About this time, the paint-scheme went from OY and number 463 (Ritchie's F-4D) To FP 37680 (Olds' F-4C from Operation Bolo). Coincidence? You be the judge.

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f4crj_1.htm
Quote: We do a layover near a border's and I had a few cups of coffee while reading it. And yes, recommended. A good look at one of the last rogues who took on the system and won. His leadership and understanding of what needed to be done is exemplary. His bold moves on re-wiring the F-4 and dumping the Falcon missiles is something NO commander would dare do today. He was one of the giants. Sad that he left his affairs in such disarray.
Yeah, both he and Boyd. Sadly, someone doing the right thing today that bucks the system gets canned. I've seen it happen. Personally know a USAF two star that spoke up against a certain program and tried to scrap it. Fired him, brought in a yes man, said program fell on it's face after 2 years and an untold amount of wasted tax dollars.
Quote: About this time, the paint-scheme went from OY and number 463 (Ritchie's F-4D) To FP 37680 (Olds' F-4C from Operation Bolo). Coincidence? You be the judge.
Definitely NOT a coincidence.

There is not a whole lot of love between the Collings Foundation West personnel and Ritchie.
Quote: 1. Yes, Shamu flies them (personally) at the airshows.
Shamu is long gone... end of the 2007 season, IIRC. I hear he's at SWA.
Quote: Definitely NOT a coincidence.

There is not a whole lot of love between the Collings Foundation West personnel and Ritchie.
And....the way I hear the story....between the USAF and Ritchie either.
(Ref. certain former CSAF's retirement ceremony).

USMCFLYR
1  2  3 
Page 3 of 3
Go to