Turn Up That Jazz, Captain

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 15
Go to
Adderly- Work Song
Cannonball Adderley "Work Song" (1962) - YouTube

Kenny Dorham- Lotus Blossom (YouTube; 1965)
Steve Kuhn -Lotus Blossom (Y/T; 1993)

This is a real find in this genre:
John Coltrane Quartet "Autumn Leaves" (Y/T; 1961)
Another creative, electrical bit from the heyday of world class ensemble improv. This stuff is like fine wine.

Work Song- Adderley Group (YouTube; 1962)
Jazz poem
There's something about the pain,
how it makes you struggle.

How it makes you listen and listen
knowing there is no real answer.

Maybe there is?
and yet the feeling goes on.

The pulse, the fire... the drive.
If it were just pure energy
the answer might be found somewhere.
In a textbook perhaps.

But no, it is more than that-
it is art, music, sound, power, time...
drive, feeling, pain, and love.

Cubdriver
Dexter Gordon was a jazz tenor saxophonist of the late 1940s-80s who rose to the upper ranks of the highly competitive jazz scene of the time. Gordon felt America was stifling and unable to appreciate his work, and chose to depart for Europe where he performed successfully for many years as an icon of the jazz idiom. Towards the end of his life which ended in 1990, his talent was finally recognized in America and culminated in a motion picture loosely meant to illustrate his life, "Round Midnight". Gordon was known for his abundant use of drugs, deep baritone stage voice, tall physique, and more significantly his improvisations which were often characterized by brilliant musical quotations from popular and classical music. His lyrical interpretations of popular songs are considered the finest jazz has to offer.

Wiki on Dexter Gordon

Motion Picture "Round Midnight (1986 film)

Those were The Days (wiki)

I once knew Lee Morgan's brother James (Jimmy) from a Fayetteville, NC night club around 1982 in which I played jazz as a very young man, Fayetteville Jazz Plaza. Jimmy was a local judge magistrate at the time. He gave me a copy of the funeral itinerary from Lee's funeral, something I still have in my possession. Jimmy was an intelligent man with a huge heart.

These Are Soulful Days (Youtube)
Sitting here at the computer chillin, relaxing! About to partake of some conchfritters!

Paul Taylor Exotica - YouTube

Last Train Home - Pat Metheny Group - YouTube

in the groove-richard elliot - YouTube

atp
Thanks ATP.

I had the pleasure and honor of knowing the legendary David Baker in his home town of Bloomington, IN during the years 1980-1982. He was and is the nicest guy you will ever meet, always offering words of encouragement displaying unstoppable enthusiasm, a powerhouse of education in the jazz idiom.

NPR on David Baker

Here he is in the early 60's on trombone:

George Russel Sextet (YouTube; 1962)
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 15
Go to