Turn Up That Jazz, Captain

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Page 5 of 15
Go to
Enduring Song-"You Don't Know What Love Is"

Pat Martino (Y/T, 1977)
Sonny Rollins (Y/T, 1956)
Dexter Gordon/ Slide Hampton (Y/T, 1969)
Miles Davis (Y/T, 1954)
Nina Simone (Y/T, 1970)
Ella Fitzgerald (Y/T, 1941)
Eric Dolphy (Y/T, 1964)
Lennie Tristano (Y/T, 1965)
Elvis Costello (Y/T, 1991)
Dinah Washington (Y/T, 1955)
Cassandra Wilson (Y/T, 1993)
(advertisement first) John Coltrane (Y/T, 1963)
Eccentric genious- Eddie Harris
I love guys like this. Eddie Harris was a true genious-slash-lunatic. He grabbed the stage wherever he went and did whatever he wanted to do on any particular day. With an imagination as fertile as this it was always fresh. Loads of talent, daring, cunning, restlessness. Listen to this live cut form 1968- screams, subliminal vocalizations, tone rows, stream of consciousness are all a part of his show. In literature they call this stream of consciousness. Harris was a musician who resisted categories because he cared nothing for them. He wanted only self-expression and a way out. I knew a life long friend of Harris and my friend said he was as crazy and spontaneous in private as he was in public.

Coming of the Roads
No I haven't lost my mind, this is a really nice song when it is done well, but there aren't many versions floating around. Elvis and Gordon Lightfoot would have good versions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Street jazz-

Ally
Country Mooosic
Jazz for Cows - YouTube
I have always thought that music, mathematics, and for that matter visual imagery to be closely related mental functions and events. The idea is to not get caught up in the subject matter at hand- a common car for example. Do not get caught up in what it is because it is nothing... besides what you see. It is not much of anything... yet it is all you see.

Friend of mine sent me this one as beautific as it is, though I usually prefer more emotionally challenging subjects than lake ducks.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Page 5 of 15
Go to