Model and Plano resident injured by prop

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to
Quote: This.
Not This.
I guess I should have been a little more clear in my statement about pax briefings in GA aircraft. Part of that briefing would include the direction that nobody leaves the aircraft until the pilot clears it. And the pilot won't clear it until the egg beater(s) stop moving.
It would seem that the passenger brief is very much underplayed by instructors and examiners alike. I have had two examiners stop me mid-sentence while trying to demonstrate the seatbelts and emergency exits. "I know how to put on a @#$% seatbelt son, can we get on with it?" Its true most of us should know how to operate the seabelts, door latches, and use caution around propellers (spinning or otherwise) But our passengers may not know the first thing about airplanes. If you don't think someone could walk into the spinning prop on your next flight you're either flying a jet or you've got, dah,dah,daaahhh........a hazardous attitude. guess which one.
Quote: It would seem that the passenger brief is very much underplayed by instructors and examiners alike. I have had two examiners stop me mid-sentence while trying to demonstrate the seatbelts and emergency exits. "I know how to put on a @#$% seatbelt son, can we get on with it?" Its true most of us should know how to operate the seabelts, door latches, and use caution around propellers (spinning or otherwise) But our passengers may not know the first thing about airplanes. If you don't think someone could walk into the spinning prop on your next flight you're either flying a jet or you've got, dah,dah,daaahhh........a hazardous attitude. guess which one.
You missed a checkride with the infamous Howard Fried (Pontiac, MI) formerly of Flying Magazine's "Eye of the Examiner". If you didn't complete the brief - or ask "Are you familiar with how to buckle/unbuckle your seatbelt and get out of the airplane in an event of an emergency?" - Howard would look over at you right after takeoff while climbing out on the upwind and curtly say, "Did you want me to put on my seatbelt?" (which he was sitting on). Then he'd tell the tower he'd like to return for landing. Pink slip. Fortunately I was briefed on this as I took a Private, Instrument, & Commercial with Howard and sent him 20+ applicants.
1  2 
Page 2 of 2
Go to