Would US still hire pending merger

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Wondering if Airways would still hire pending merger. It would be a while for the merge to be finalized and the retirements are still coming.
New hires would probably be constructive notice.
Quote: They just like any airline will hire all the way up to the day before they announce a furlough.
What he said. There is no formal deal at the moment and I believe the East is short on crews so I would imagine that there will continue to be hiring.
Quote: What he said. There is no formal deal at the moment and I believe the East is short on crews so I would imagine that there will continue to be hiring.

What a way to "manage" a business". Just sayin.
If past practice holds....

Back in 2000, after the big announcement of the us/ua merger, hiring at US (along with a lot of other day to day planning and management) immediately stopped while all energy was diverted to thoughts of merger.

Hope I'm wrong and US keeps hiring. It's a good lesson in not falling for the next big thing until it really happens.

Capt H
From the perspective of the past at UA Air (Hiring till the day of furlough) Would it be wise to leave a relatively good job to go there with the hopes of moving up the list as retirements at both airlines are scheduled to accelerate?

WOuld it be better to go there get the number, get furloughed for a bit but come back to the number?
Don't forget the furloughs at AA, chances are if there was a merger they would take furloughed AA guys before guys off the street.
Quote: They just like any airline will hire all the way up to the day before they announce a furlough.
That's funny. Delta hired around 350 pilots in 2010 and then stopped, yet none of them were furloughed. Not to mention the 2007/2008 hires. I don't recall Southwest, FedEx, or JetBlue furloughing either.
And don't forget the vast majority of AA pilots over the age of 45. Getting hired at US may be the luckiest thing one could squeak into (re: AA/US merger).
And keep in mind this is all complete & total speculation. Noone knows what will actually happen, until it happens.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to