CBS "This Morning" Interview

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to
Quote: WOW! Do you know anything about who Sullenberger is?

Reading is fundamental...

Chesley B. Sullenberger III - TIME
Before you go overboard on the hero worship, may I present perhaps a more ligitimate hero:

The Crash of United Flight 232 by Capt. Al Haynes

Capt Al Haynes.

Lots of speculation as to whether or not one of the two was still developing thrust before it baecame water logged.
Quote: Before you go overboard on the hero worship, may I present perhaps a more ligitimate hero:

Capt Al Haynes.

Lots of speculation as to whether or not one of the two was still developing thrust before it baecame water logged.
Have heard them both speak in person......YES......they are BOTH legit heros who's actions/leadership saved lives on those two events.

(BTW - If you want to speak about Sioux City/Capt Haynes, put Capt. Denny Finch in that boat as well - RIP)
Quote: WOW! Do you know anything about who Sullenberger is?

Reading is fundamental...

Chesley B. Sullenberger III - TIME
I'm with Kalamazoo. I appreciate Captain Sullenberger's candor, experience, and his professional delivery of his most certainly educated judgement.
Quote: Before you go overboard on the hero worship, may I present perhaps a more ligitimate hero:

Capt Al Haynes.

Not sure what your definition of worship is or where I used the word hero. I guess that's what I get for passing some on some knowledge.

Back on topic, I do enjoy hearing Sully speak and give his insight, not sure how anyone can watch him and not see that he is very knowledgeable in the topics he engages in. I was, however disappointed when the conversation turned to the regionals and they failed to elaborate on the contractual obstacles and management intimidation.
Read the NTSB report on the Hudson.
Yes one was developing minimal thrust, basically idle. Won't do much to keep it in the air.
Quote: How'd they even get to talking about regionals? Sounds like Capt. God's Gift to aviation has a personal vendetta against them..to group all regionals together as being unsafe is about as fair as grouping all major pilots together because of a few bad apples..which I know they're out there

Jumpseat,

They were on the subject of outsourcing because it was one of the main topics the UAL pilots brought up in the informational leaflets, and press releases.

United and other legacy carriers have outsourced domestic flying to regionals, and that practice has impacted public safety, and customer service.

As for Sully; A true professional on the ground and in the air.

SP
Let's not get side tracked here. This has nothing to do with Haynes vs. Sullenberger. The story is UCH management vs. DAL management's credibility.

RETRO PAY and industry standard for ALL aspects of pilot employment (not just hourly pay rates) NOW.

If that's not where UCH management see's it's pilots, prepare for a bit of a scuffle.

Reading the history, I doubt they will be able to tender an offer that gets a "yes" vote from this tired, entrenched and angry aviator.
Just one old, retiring (me) guy's opinion but....

if DAL ratifies, they are the competition and that (plus or minus a few here and there) will be your approximate contract.

No skin in the game anymore, so go easy on the old guy.
One thing is for sure, the two airline's comparative sizes mean that there's no way one can have a huge cost disadvantage over the other, nor will labor settle for a huge disparity in compensation.

The "devil" as they say will certainly be in the "details". PBS rules, training pay, scheduling, reimbursement for pilot costs... need I re-mention RETRO PAY?
Quote: How'd they even get to talking about regionals? Sounds like Capt. God's Gift to aviation has a personal vendetta against them..to group all regionals together as being unsafe is about as fair as grouping all major pilots together because of a few bad apples..which I know they're out there
News flash. The position that outsourcing to the regionals and foreign operators is unsafe is THE position. Not just from Capt Sullenberger (who has done more to help our profession than almost anyone alive, I might add) but the entire UAL/CAL organization. I read over on the regional forum how we "better take back scope". I'm now assuming that is all lip service, because THIS is the way to do it. Sorry if it offends your sensibilities
1  2  3  4 
Page 2 of 4
Go to