Puerto Rico...

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Headed to the Isla Verde section in 2 weeks with my 2 daughters. Any tips on things to do, places to eat at, etc.

Thanks!
If you guys want a wonderful adventure, head over to Culebra. You can either fly out of Isla Grande or take the ferry from Fajardo. There's a restaurant there called Mammasita's that's amazing. Lodging can be a challenge, but check out Naniquis. So far, that's one of my favorite Caribbean destinations. It's pretty quiet.
Isla verde is alright beach wise. It's not that great otherwise. If your staying at one of the good hotels (intercontinental or El San Juan) then everything is there for you. Not many good places to eat unless you like Mofongo. When your there be sure to make it to Old San Juan and the fort El Morro.
Thanks for all the info! Staying at the El San Juan.....beautiful pool and proximity to beach were deciding factors.
Right across the street from the ESJ is a little strip mall. A little dive pace called "mi casita" on the left side has horrible service but any of the mofongo's make it worthwhile, and the price is right! I second the trip to culebra, awesome little island and if you fly, you could do a day trip. Flamenco beach there is by far the prettiest beach I've ever seen! On the main Island, check out el yunque rainforest, which is very neat. Of course also go to old san juan and do all that down there, but beware of scammers! The west coast has a whole different vibe and very laid back. Have Fun! I loved my time there!
If you get time, check out Vieques. If you've never heard of it, goole bioluminescent bay...it's pretty cool.
Quote: If you get time, check out Vieques. If you've never heard of it, goole bioluminescent bay...it's pretty cool.
+1. Great for the whole fam.
I hate to be a Buzz Kill but I've seen the lack of Trauma Care/Protocols in Puerto Rico.

For everyone either working or on vacation in Puerto Rico here's my best advise;

Purchase or have OCONUS(Int'l) Air Ambulance Coverage as Puerto Rico is considered by some carriers as International.

I've seen 3 run-of-the-mill trauma cases that ended with unbelievably bad outcomes, (1 death and 2 ended up maimed/crippled, all separate incidents).

If injured while in the U.S. Islands; get stabilized and then Medivac'd to Miami ASAP, (this also applies to the USVI, St Thomas, St. John & St. Croix).

I wish Rosey Roads was still Active, as their hospital was able to stabilize trauma cases and their Navy Docs were good and the airfield was a 3 min drive to the waiting hot turbines, (for those that had Mil Access/Bennys).
Quote: I hate to be a Buzz Kill but I've seen the lack of Trauma Care/Protocols in Puerto Rico.

For everyone either working or on vacation in Puerto Rico here's my best advise;

Purchase or have OCONUS(Int'l) Air Ambulance Coverage as Puerto Rico is considered by some carriers as International.

I've seen 3 run-of-the-mill trauma cases that ended with unbelievably bad outcomes, (1 death and 2 ended up maimed/crippled, all separate incidents).

If injured while in the U.S. Islands; get stabilized and then Medivac'd to Miami ASAP, (this also applies to the USVI, St Thomas, St. John & St. Croix).

I wish Rosey Roads was still Active, as their hospital was able to stabilize trauma cases and their Navy Docs were good and the airfield was a 3 min drive to the waiting hot turbines, (for those that had Mil Access/Bennys).
Same could be said for Cancun, costa rica, and shreveport

Maybe we should stay home
I lived on the west side flying cargo for a sliver of time, and I would agree about the need to MedEvac out. We had a guy who had a bad outcome with a broken bone. I know Air Methods was getting into MedEvac insurance but I don't think they have any skin in the game over there. Check AirMed International.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to