SKW3475 Anti-Icing Problem into SEA

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Listening to Seattle Approach ATC tonight as I usually do on the commute home in the car and heard SKW3475 (LGB-SEA) indicate problems with their anti-icing equipment and was requesting to stay out of the clouds on approach as they were already icing up a bit. He was at 7000 in the downwind when reporting the issue.

Really admired how many other pilots on the freq helped out the controller, particular the Redwood crew ahead of them on the approach. Other pilots were reporting whether they were getting icing, etc.

SKW finally troubleshot the issue and got it working before the turn for base. Was interesting listening though. My 9 year old son said, after it all, "how do the pilots sound so calm through that?"
Are you an airline guy?, only reason I ask is I'm kinda confused as to why you would listen. As a non airline guy I could understand the fascination but as an airline guy that's the last thing in the world I would want to listen to on the way home
No, just an enthusiast.
Quote: No, just an enthusiast.
Wow, good catch. Nothing like hearing stuff like that as its happening. I've heard a couple of serious deals on 121.5, it always gets the blood flowing a bit.
Quote: Wow, good catch. Nothing like hearing stuff like that as its happening. I've heard a couple of serious deals on 121.5, it always gets the blood flowing a bit.
+1
Heard a VFR guy get caught on top - the controller did a great job talking him thru the ILS. After I got in, I saw the guy in the FBO with another adult and a child. I just shook my head and almost said something to him about checking wx. Hopefully that was a life learning experience.

121.5 - I'm not sure what's worse, voice (other than guard police) or just a beacon.
Quote: +1
Heard a VFR guy get caught on top - the controller did a great job talking him thru the ILS. After I got in, I saw the guy in the FBO with another adult and a child. I just shook my head and almost said something to him about checking wx. Hopefully that was a life learning experience.

121.5 - I'm not sure what's worse, voice (other than guard police) or just a beacon.
Eerie. (filler)
I'm not sure if there would be anybody who would object to letting someone in before them, especially in this situation.
Quote: 121.5 - I'm not sure what's worse, voice (other than guard police) or just a beacon.
Definitely a voice...beacons are accidentally being set off or tested all the time
The worst one I heard was coming up from SAN to LAX. We heard an Arrow talking to Palomar tower about severe engine trouble, attempting to make it in on the ILS (it was moderately low IMC that day). Fortunately he made it in.

Just a couple of weeks ago, a student pilot was on guard asking for help because he was losing his electrical system and already lost the radio display (obviously he it was still transmitting/receiving). I kid you not, twice some jackass said "You're on Guard!". That's what it's for dumbass!

I helped the guy get in touch with the approach controller in the area, as we both ignored the clueless guard cop. Can you believe that?
Quote: I'm not sure if there would be anybody who would object to letting someone in before them, especially in this situation.
A horizon owned aircraft flown by non QX pilots. I'm sure a couple of pilots might think twice. Glad it all worked out.
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to