Best corporate personnel departments?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to
Just curious, I know we have all heard of the "dream" jobs in this field, just wondering what everyones opinion is. If you could work at any department based on "rumors" and credible information which one would you choose?
FedEx

Filler
Flight departments are like marriages, no one really knows the dynamics unless they're on the inside. I see lots of departments, the good ones are larger, more professional that way; have 15-25 pilots who have a good mix of backgrounds; a "principal" who respects the department leadership; and leadership that leads. The single plane, single crew operations tend to be run by the owner who holds the Chief Pilot by the balls--it doesn't have any standards to fall back on. There are exceptions, of course, but, for me, larger is better.

FedEx would be an example of an outstanding department. I won't name them, but some single plane operations couldn't get me for $500,000 per year.

GF
Quote: Just curious, I know we have all heard of the "dream" jobs in this field, just wondering what everyones opinion is. If you could work at any department based on "rumors" and credible information which one would you choose?
Absent additional info about a company, I would say the most financially sound companies / "best run" per Fortune, Forbes, etc and hope it trickles down to the flight department

Google
Microsoft
Nike
Exxon
Apple

etc etc
I don't think Apple, MS or Google have flight departments, but their principals do--Jobs had a GV, MS leaders have Globals, Google guys share a B767.

GF
I know a guy at Home Depot who has seemed to be very happy with the department for the 8 years that I have been in contact with him. I had one contact at Boeing who thought highly of the department too. that job would have interested me if it had not been in Gary, IN!
Boeing is a very nice department! Pity about Gary, though. Mickey D's is also highly recommended.

Merry Christmas!

GF
Have a friend who flies for Mary Kay and speaks very highly of the operation.
- Procter and Gamble
- United Health Group
- GE

Many more
Best corporate/personal departments
Been at a Fortune 500 flight department for a little over 8 years after spending 10 in the 121 world. There are definite pros and cons to both. Much of the time I miss the predictability that comes with bidding a schedule, and the protections that come with a contract. Other times I appreciate being home most every holiday and most weekends, flying one or two legs a day, and choosing my own hotels, and a corporate card for expenses.

When I had the opportunity to go back to USAir after an extended furlough I chose to remain here instead. Time will tell whether that was the right decision.
1  2  3  4 
Page 1 of 4
Go to