Best Tach time v Hobbs time ratio

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
I'm getting ready to join a flying club that charges by the Tach hour. My goal is of course to build time, not get to a specific point etc.

This club has a C172N(160HP). Max Gross weight is 2,300 so I figured with just me and full fuel we're at around 1,900 pounds.

At what altitude and at what RPM setting would I get the best bang for my buck? I don't care if i'm doing 70, 80, or 90. My goal is to get the Tachometer to turn as slow as possible while in air.

Any suggestions?
Best Tach time v Hobbs time ratio
Slower the better pattern work is a great way to build useless hours. Try and practice power off 180's short + soft field T/O's and Landings.
I thought that the longer flights are always best. If you're in the pattern you're at max RPM (2600-2700) at least half the time. I was thinking that maybe doing 1,800 RPM at 3,000 feet would give me around 80 KIAS and would be the best. No? Plus I'd rather build some X-country time rather than just build useless hours.
Slow/low power cross country is the way to go. Don't waste your time in the pattern unless you're practicing for a check ride. You gotta get to that magical 500 hour xc for the ATP.
I figured that...I was just wondering if anyone had it mastered so that I can log the most time for the least amount of $$$.
Quote:
Plus I'd rather build some X-country time rather than just build useless hours.
Building time is useless. Build experience. Droning along from A to B isn't experience. Make your time count.

Your altitude is irrelevant. Your airspeed is irrelevant. If you want to stretch those tach hours, then sit on the ramp and let your engine overheat at idle.

Better yet, falsify your logbook. If it's all about hours, give yourself 25,000 of them.

You can buy all the hours you want.

Nothing can make up for experience.

Go get experience.
Dude chill out.

It is all about hours, as they are the minimum requirements for certain ratings. You gain experience as you build hours. I'm flying from point A to point B dealing with ATC and other traffic. I'm saying that I don't care if i'm doing 80 or 110 to get from point A to point B.

Again...chill out.
I'm not "dude," and it's not all about hours at all.

One day you may realize that.
If anything you should at least change your approach. Coming on here and telling people to pencil whip their logbook or just sit on the tarmac with the engine running doesn't help anyone. If you don't have anything to contribute to this discussion then don't say anything at all.
I would have to say its about getting to the minimums the fastest. I use to think experience will get me the better job. I was wrong. I should have spent my summer towing banners rather than flight instructing I would have got to the mins faster and thus moved on to an airline quicker. don't pay attention to the trolls on the board.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to