LGA

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
I recently overheard some WN pilots talking about a New York base. How many daily flights does AirTran operate from LGA? Would the increase be significant to WN to open a small base?
HIGHLY doubt it! It's the number of overnighting jets that determines what city's "domicile worthy" at SW. I'm not sure what they got in EWR nowadays, but I know that between AAI & SWA in LGA there can't be anymore than eight RONs. Not nearly enough for a domicile.

However, a EWR/LGA codomicile would seem feasible. Perhaps not how but in the future with a little more growth? NYC is the biggest air travel market in the world. I can't see SWA not wanting to get in there in a big, big way.
You're all smoking crack. SWA will have to get at least another 12 gates at either of the airports before it'll open a base.
Quote: You're all smoking crack. SWA will have to get at least another 12 gates at either of the airports before it'll open a base.
That's kind of what I was saying. However, with the departure of the OPCs and arrival of the iPads in 2014, supposedly there's a chance of some mini-bases in the future. Perhaps a fat chance, but a chance nevertheless.
Quote: HIGHLY doubt it! It's the number of overnighting jets that determines what city's "domicile worthy" at SW. I'm not sure what they got in EWR nowadays, but I know that between AAI & SWA in LGA there can't be anymore than eight RONs. Not nearly enough for a domicile.

However, a EWR/LGA codomicile would seem feasible. Perhaps not how but in the future with a little more growth? NYC is the biggest air travel market in the world. I can't see SWA not wanting to get in there in a big, big way.
lulz.... I wonder if those guys realize how far apart EWR and LGA are....
Quote: lulz.... I wonder if those guys realize how far apart EWR and LGA are....
16.6 miles
Quote: 16.6 miles
Yup. Should be able to make it between the two in 4 or 5 hours... on a good day.... not to mention the cost to get there. Co-terminals are a great idea. Thank God my category only has one trip out of EWR and a bunch of senior guys that live in Pa. Welcome to New York boyz.
Quote: lulz.... I wonder if those guys realize how far apart EWR and LGA are....
I know it well, T. At least a half hour on a good day. AA's got a NYC base and so do you guys so it's not unheard of.
Quote: I know it well, T. At least a half hour on a good day. AA's got a NYC base and so do you guys so it's not unheard of.
True, but the number of pilots that AA or Delta has based alone in NYC is close to the amount of pilots SWA/AAI have in total. The economy of scale allows it to work for a bigger carrier.
Quote: True, but the number of pilots that AA or Delta has based alone in NYC is close to the amount of pilots SWA/AAI have in total.
AA/DL have 7500 pilots based in NYC?

1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to