Hypertension Question

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to
Looking for some guidance. I recently went to my primary care doctor for a routine physical and found out that my blood pressure was very close to hypertension levels. My primary care physician told me that I should start taking blood pressure meds to keep it in check. I told my doc I would hold off until talking to my AME. I am worried that when I go to my next FAA physical I might still have high blood pressure levels and my certificate will be revoked. I am a professional pilot that needs to pays bills, mortgage etc.. Currently I am very stressed of losing my job over this which make the situation worse.

Should I give my AME a call and start taking blood pressure medication or should I wait til my next FAA physical in a couple of months and in the mean time work on alternative ways on reducing my blood pressure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Flanker,

First, the FAA CAMI office is very understanding on hypertension, assuming your physician hasn't found any underlying pathology causing it. Simple HIgh BP is easily treated, at low cost and is not disqualifying.

I came down with it about 10 years ago, felt awful, tired, headaches, no energy. My AF Reserve doc OK'd Lisinopril (20mg/daily) and I got an AF waiver. Shortly afterwards, retired to take a civil job. FAA doc simply asked for a work-up from my doc, including prescription, 3-day course of BP check, blood work and I received my Class 1 immediately without a hiccup. You will have to have an annual letter from your to your FAA AME. Your AME can print out the requirements so your personal physician can prepare a letter to the AME and he will submit it. You will get a letter detailing the requirements from the FAA after the first issuance.

It would be worth discussing with your AME before your first Class 1 renewal.

Don't worry, not a problem.

GF
as stated before, this is (almost) a non-issue with the FAA. congrats on wanting to resolve it and being proactive. I also have it (probably most of anyone 45 or over technically meets the diagnosis) and no big deal. Talk to AOPA Medical for better info

155 (upper number) is the DQ point for high BP for the FAA by the way.

try no coffee for a few days, some solid sleep for a few days, and loose fitting, comfortable clothes on test day. try to keep that cell phone off and your mind clear 24 hours before the test.

you might be surprised at the lower results
I second what galaxy flyer said.

Call one of the aeromedical services. Follow their instructions.

Show for your next medical with the paperwork in order.

Hypertension, in and of itself, is not a major issue wih the FAA.
There is certainly nothing wrong trying the usual recommended ways of lowering it--exercise, getting good rest before the test, etc, but don't sweat it. A discussion with your AME is just so on your physical day all the required medical info from your physician is in hand ofor the AME. Makes his life and yours easier.

GF
I will add one more comment.

Some of the common hypertension meds increase your long term risk of type II diabetes, as does simple aging. This is a good time to start cutting your intake of sugar and refined carbs.
I have read fairly reliable reports (Mayo Clinic, Consumer Reports, etc) that there is really no reason a human should eat ANY sugar that does not come from nature. IE not from a watermelon, etc. High Fructose Corn syrup is a HUGE no-no, as is anything white. White Bread, white pasta, milk/cream, salt, sugar, etc.
Thank you ALL for the great advice. I feel a less stressed after reading your posts. Did not realize hypertension was such a common issue in the industry.

I will give one of the aeromedical services a call, exercise and drink less coffee for sure.
Quote: Thank you ALL for the great advice. I feel a less stressed after reading your posts. Did not realize hypertension was such a common issue in the industry.

I will give one of the aeromedical services a call, exercise and drink less coffee for sure.
and turn off the work issued cell phone/blackberry

that is good for a 10 point+ reduction

Quote: Looking for some guidance. I recently went to my primary care doctor for a routine physical and found out that my blood pressure was very close to hypertension levels. My primary care physician told me that I should start taking blood pressure meds to keep it in check. I told my doc I would hold off until talking to my AME. I am worried that when I go to my next FAA physical I might still have high blood pressure levels and my certificate will be revoked. I am a professional pilot that needs to pays bills, mortgage etc.. Currently I am very stressed of losing my job over this which make the situation worse.

Should I give my AME a call and start taking blood pressure medication or should I wait til my next FAA physical in a couple of months and in the mean time work on alternative ways on reducing my blood pressure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
My blood pressure was pinging 140/90 sometimes but when I took it at home regularly for a year it stayed high 120 to low 130 / 88-90.
I wasn't sleeping well for several years and decided to give up alcohol. I enjoyed drinking wine and beer and an occasional martini. But I decided to give it up anyway on the chance I might be able to sleep better. A year later, I'm sleeping solid and the consistent heartburn I had disappeared. Three years have gone by and my pressure never breaks 125 and averages 117-120/77. I'm still about 25 pounds overweight but I'm working on that now. Best of luck
1  2  3 
Page 1 of 3
Go to