Representing hours correctly

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Hey guys,

I did my ATP / Type with 1400 hours of flying time and 100 hours of Part 142 training (level D) simulator time (all as a student - all documented by the training provider).

When I represent this on my resume, should I be breaking this up? I'm thinking of something like:

Total Time:

1400 hours + 100 SIM (Part 142 training time counted towards ATP TT mins per FAR 61.159), or should I simply say "1500" hours?

I know that SIM time is not total time and yet it can be counted towards the ATP TT aeronautical experience requirements per the FARS (provided that it's Part 142 training time as a student).

I don't want to get weird about this on a resume (or worse, give the employer an impression that I'm trying to pull one over on them), but I also want to be truthful about the exact makeup of my time.

Your recommendations would be appreciated.
it will depend on how the employer receives your app, many airlines have electronic submission. absent that, old fashioned paper resume should have something like

FLIGHT TIME: XXX
SIM TIME: XXX
TOTAL TIME: XXX
Thanks Satpak. Do you think next to sim time I should qualify that with the "Part 142 training blah blah...."?

I just want them to know I'm not throwing in a bunch of fluff.

Thanks
The regs were changed in August to allow 121, 135, 141, and 142 sim/FTD time toward an ATP. There's been more awareness recently of this little part of the FARs. If you're doing an electronic app, your total time will likely still come out as 1400, depending on the software. If you don't get a call, it may not hurt to email someone in recruiting to let them know you're ATP eligible.
Quote: Thanks Satpak. Do you think next to sim time I should qualify that with the "Part 142 training blah blah...."?

I just want them to know I'm not throwing in a bunch of fluff.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it too much, concentrate on actual flight time. Sim Time will never outweigh real world flight experience.
Quote: The regs were changed in August to allow 121, 135, 141, and 142 sim/FTD time toward an ATP. There's been more awareness recently of this little part of the FARs. If you're doing an electronic app, your total time will likely still come out as 1400, depending on the software. If you don't get a call, it may not hurt to email someone in recruiting to let them know you're ATP eligible.
Very good idea -- Thank you sir. I've actually already got my ATP; and although my books passed the Check Airman's muster (and obviously that of the training facility), I don't want to show up to an interview having to explain why I have only 1400 flight hours in my log book and 1500 Total Time recorded on my 8710. I don't want anyone thinking I'm playing games with my hours.
Quote: The regs were changed in August to allow 121, 135, 141, and 142 sim/FTD time toward an ATP.
Sim time yes, FTD no. Sim must be a "full flight simulator" representing the aircraft class for which the rating is sought. I haven't seen a concrete definition for "full flight simulator" but I *think* it needs to be a full-motion Level C or D sim.
Quote: Sim time yes, FTD no. Sim must be a "full flight simulator" representing the aircraft class for which the rating is sought. I haven't seen a concrete definition for "full flight simulator" but I *think* it needs to be a full-motion Level C or D sim.
The 100 hours of credit can be from a FTD. The 50 hours multi cannot be. Also, the new training course requires some full motion time as well.

Quote:
(5) Not more than 100 hours of the total aeronautical experience requirements of paragraph (a) of this section may be obtained in a full flight simulator or flight training device that represents an airplane, provided the aeronautical experience was accomplished as part of an approved training course in parts 121, 135, 141, or 142 of this chapter.
I'm covered there -- all my sim is level D under part 142 training...
How bout military sim time...
Since I haven't even looked at the regs governing this, do you know what part military sim time is covered under? I did a military time conversion factor (0.3/sortie) to get me over the 1500 hump, but if I added sim time I would be swimming in hours. If I added sim time as the instructor, well then...
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to