Southwest Lands at Wrong Airport

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 44
Go to
Quote: Even if I was in a Herk landing normally, and expecting a 7140' runway and saw half that after the wheels were on deck, it would still be pretty sporty. Can't imagine that happening in a B737.
Saw 737's coming into Taran Kowt, they seemed to do all right. Normal landings in a Herk, no, assault landings? No problem.
Scary. It sucks. It happens. I'm just happy no one was hurt.
Quote: Saw 737's coming into Taran Kowt, they seemed to do all right. Normal landings in a Herk, no, assault landings? No problem.
Sure, but I imagine these guys weren't prepared to stop in 3,000 feet...and I'm sure they landed in the first 500' too and didn't float it past the 1,000' markers.

The news says they can't fly it out of there...when I flew Lears, we'd need to be very light in order to get out of a 3,700' field. The USAF required we had at least 4,500', however, so it was a moot point.
Quote: The plane came to a stop about 40 feet from the edge of a cliff, Scott Schieffer, one of the passengers, said via Twitter. “The mood is somber now,” he said.

“You should have felt the braking when we landed,” he said. “The pilot braked hard; I wonder when he realized he picked wrong airport?”
Sorry to hear the news.
Quote: 3,700' is a long runway... for a Herk.
Hey now, not everybody's four engine transport aircraft has also done carrier ops. Show offs!
Glad all are ok:
Southwest Jet Lands At Wrong Missouri Airport | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Can a very light 737 get out?
Quote: Hey now, not everybody's four engine transport aircraft has also done carrier ops. Show offs!
What they did to get that Herk prepared to do carrier ops is what SWA will have to do to get that 737 out of there...
Quote: Glad all are ok:

It'll have to have a special release. I'd imagine it'll be on the ground there for a day or 2.
Quote: Glad all are ok:

Yep .
Quote: What they did to get that Herk prepared to do carrier ops is what SWA will have to do to get that 737 out of there...
True...! In seriousness, I'm glad things turned out as they did (everyone is safe) especially given the size of the runway.
1  2  3  4  5  6  12 
Page 2 of 44
Go to