FDX Departures All Night Out of KOAK

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 6
Go to
I was checking out flightaware while playing online poker late Fri night. Between 1am til about 3am a fair amount of FDX flights departed from KOAK...the smallest type being a B752. None going to Memphis. I recall SLC, LAS, ONT, PDX, SEA, PHX, etc. Quite a few DC10s too (it was good to see those old birds still are being used). Is KOAK one of their west coast hubs, or something??? Perhaps sorting out freight inbound to the US from Asia? That's all I could think.

Secondly, how competitive is it to get a job flying for Brown or Purple? Compared to majors?

Thanks all. I LOVE this forum!!!
Yes to all. All of the DCs have been converted to MDs. Glass cockpit and no engineer.
Quote: Secondly, how competitive is it to get a job flying for Brown or Purple? Compared to majors?
This will get some good replies. Fortunately i already had the popcorn popped.
Quote: Yes to all. All of the DCs have been converted to MDs. Glass cockpit and no engineer.
But the MD-10s still show up as DC-10s in the FAA system.
As soon as you get a single engine VFR rating you should be able to get on with Purple or Brown. Once there, it will take you about 6 months to become an
A380 or 777 Captain. Once you have heavy left seat time on your resume, you could be considered for a job at a major.

In all seriousness, major Pax carriers are projected to hire upwards of 600 to 700 each this year. Major cargo (FedEx & UPS) are still contracting or stagnating. Its all timing and numbers. IMO, You will have an infinitely better chance of getting hired at a Pax carrier in the next five years.
Quote:
Secondly, how competitive is it to get a job flying for Brown or Purple? Compared to majors?

I assume this question is asked in jest?

FedEx and UPS pilots hope to "grow up" and get a job with a "real" passenger carrying airline so that we can take a MAJOR cut in both pay and benefits (most pax carriers pilot contracts were written in Bankruptcy Court).

I look forward to having to deal with whiney Flight Attendants and passengers.

I look forward not having to pay attention to scheduled departure/arrival times

I look forward to having to worry if my next paycheck will arrive.

And mostly ... I'm looking forward to getting to land at the wrong airport!*?

Maybe one day I'll be able to get a "real" airline job?
Quote: I assume this question is asked in jest?

FedEx and UPS pilots hope to "grow up" and get a job with a "real" passenger carrying airline so that we can take a MAJOR cut in both pay and benefits (most pax carriers pilot contracts were written in Bankruptcy Court).

You've got a bit of a bee in your bonnet, eh?
What a typical response from Mayday Mark. Someone's not getting enough respect or attention at home.
Quote: But the MD-10s still show up as DC-10s in the FAA system.
FAA's system didn't recognize MD-10.
Quote: I assume this question is asked in jest?

Pretty douchey Mark.
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 6
Go to