Cover Letter in the digital world...

Subscribe
As many of the airlines/fractional/corporate flight departments go the way of the online application, has the traditional cover letter gone by the wayside? Some companies are specific and ask for a cover letter and resume attached, some only ask for a resume, and others yet only permit you to fill out the online application...

- If a company has only an e-application do you still send a cover letter and resume to their HR/Flight Department?

- If a company allows you to upload a resume, should you only attach a resume (or can the first page be a cover letter)?

The Internet has definitely brought a change in the way "pledges" prepare our paperwork, and many of us are curious on the new e-etiquette!
If the company offers a text area, or field, in which to paste cover letter text, it would be a good idea. After all, that's why it's there. And you'll stand out from those pilots that ignore it.

If the web application asks only for your resume, just include that. Otherwise you risk being considered an applicant who can't follow instructions.

One thing you should always do is include a cover letter if you are emailing in a resume as an attachment (Word file). Include it in the body of the email (the text, that is) AND as a separate attachment. The cover letter that's in the body of the email can be a shortened version of the full cover letter.
Quote: One thing you should always do is include a cover letter if you are emailing in a resume as an attachment (Word file). Include it in the body of the email (the text, that is) AND as a separate attachment. The cover letter that's in the body of the email can be a shortened version of the full cover letter.
Is it okay to include the full cover letter in the body of the email?
I always include a cover letter.. better too much than not enough in this case.
Quote: I always include a cover letter.. better too much than not enough in this case.
In addition to a full cover letter email body?
Quote: In addition to a full cover letter email body?
not if the email is also inclusive of a cover letter in the form of a MS Word doc. In this case, I state briefly something to this effect.

Sir/Madam,

Please accept my resume and cover letter for any future pilot hiring at your airline.

Best Regards

CE750

Attached: Resume.doc
Coverletter.doc
Thanks CE750,