1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to
I've never met anyone that called it
Randolff

Or that called them
Augie Doggies.

It just comes across odd.
What class were you in? I was probably there with you.

Quote: Since when does a 23yr. old 2Lt. have any standards?
Since I was a teenager.
Quote: I've never met anyone that called it
Randolff

Or that called them
Augie Doggies.

It just comes across odd.
What class were you in? I was probably there with you.
Class 8405

D flight in Tweets, M flight in 38's.
I missed you by a month. You graduated May 85. I arrived 3 June 85.
Quote: I missed you by a month. You graduated May 85. I arrived 3 June 85.
Was his bunk still warm?
Quote: I missed you by a month. You graduated May 85. I arrived 3 June 85.
No, by a year and a month, I graduated May of 84, as in 84-05.

Our class started Jun 1, 83. We stated with about 70 (then split into 2 sections), graduated about 53 I think.

We left you plenty of tequila in Boys Town.
Yes, my calendar skills are not good!

Our class was the same way: started with 63, graduated 42... lost exactly 1/3 of the class.

We had two Academy grads in our class: one was the first to wash out, the other was our Top Graduate.
While I didn't attend UPT at Laughlin back in the good days of the 1980s, I did manage to be there before it really started to suck. I was at Laughlin pre-9/11 (2000-2001). Acuna was still fun, the Corona Club and Ma Crosby's was open and busy. The lake was awesome and everyone went to San Antonio or Austin once a month.

I went back a few years ago to visit a buddy of mine on my way through to Big Bend, and Laughlin seemed like a ghost town compared to when I was there. In 2000, Tweets and 38s were constantly flying around, but there was hardly any flying activity going on in 2010 (comparatively). Acuna was off-limits, and the lake was really, really low (although I hear that Mexico and the US trade off managing the lake, and when Mexico runs it, the level drops quite a bit).

If DLF wasn't so far away from real civilization, I'd consider going there to fly with the Reserves. That would not be an easy commute, though.
I can't imagine a year in Del Rio without ever being able to get over to Acuna. That's really the end of the earth.
Quote: I can't imagine a year in Del Rio without ever being able to get over to Acuna. That's really the end of the earth.
I knew plenty of people that said "it was the end of the earth", and hated it.

My 4 years there was pretty awesome. I met a number of locals, did some great road trips through that part of the state (there is a fair amount to see), did a road rally, learned to windsurf and water ski, etc...
Quote: I can't imagine a year in Del Rio without ever being able to get over to Acuna. That's really the end of the earth.
you mean Jitra's would get old ?

also, they closed Riches Bar/Club. bulldozed it and now I believe a Luby's sits there

also the local girls are a great resource....

1  2  3  4  5 
Page 4 of 5
Go to