Motley Fool on A-10 Retention

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 5
Go to
A quick slideshow from Motley Fool on the costs of the A-10 versus other CAS alternatives:
Is the Air Force's A-10 Warthog the Best Plane Money Can Buy? (BA, LMT, NOC)
I'll probably catch hell for this but here's an alternative that I would put forward-
Mothball 50% and let the other 50% go to the Army.
She's proved herself time and time again and sadly in this day and age it's not good enough.

Fred
The Army had proven repeatedly over the years they DON'T WANT fixed wing aircraft.
Never have heard one Army Aviator say that.
Even if they wanted to, the Army could not take the A-10 due to the Key West Agreement.
Quote: The Army had proven repeatedly over the years they DON'T WANT fixed wing aircraft.
Packrat ,close your eyes and imagine that you are on the ground receiving incoming and you have a choice between a proven and an unproven cas -fac a/c which one are you going to want providing cover ?
Army fixed-wing flying
Back in the late '60s, the Army's DHC Caribous were being transferred to the AF.
An old CA told me about getting checked out....

Army IP: "I'll demonstrate a short-field landing."
AF Student: "Where?"
IP: "That clearing just ahead."
Student: "What!? You're kidding!"
IP: "Naah, plenty of room."
Student: "Aieeeee!"
<whump..roar>
IP: "See? Piece of cake."
Student: "Wow! But how do we get out of here?"
IP: "Easy! Watch this!"
Quote:
Even if they wanted to, the Army could not take the A-10 due to the Key West Agreement.
More so the Pace-Finletter MOU 1952.
Quote: The Army had proven repeatedly over the years they DON'T WANT fixed wing aircraft.

Respectfully disagree.

A certain Army general ignorantly said that fixed wing aviation was not a core competency during the C-27J debacle. He showed his rear-end.

He did that, quid pro quo, in order to get another brigade.

Do some research and you'll see quite a few fixed wing assets (not the white ones) in the U.S. Army inventory.

No, I don't think the A-10 belongs in the Army, but it definitely needs to stay.
Quote:
Packrat ,close your eyes and imagine that you are on the ground receiving incoming and you have a choice between a proven and an unproven cas -fac a/c which one are you going to want providing cover ?
More importantly is who is in the seat. I'll take the USAF bubba every time.

Quote:
Back in the late '60s, the Army's DHC Caribous were being transferred to the AF.
An old CA told me about getting checked out....

Army IP: "I'll demonstrate a short-field landing."
AF Student: "Where?"
IP: "That clearing just ahead."
Student: "What!? You're kidding!"
IP: "Naah, plenty of room."
<whump..roar>
IP: "See? Piece of cake."
Student: "Wow! But how do we get out of here?"
IP: "Easy! Watch this!"
"Think I can fit between those trees?"