Is there really a pilot shortage ?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 12
Go to
Or is it just cleaver marketing by universities and flight schools ? Those of us that have been around enough have seen this repeated time and time again over since deregulation (young guys feel free to google airline deregulation)

My story, was a commercial pilot, left the industry to single handedly raises my kids, retired from that career at 49, was always active in aviation, own my own plane, continued adding ratings, completed my atp last May, so I'm current there, started applying at regionals, and found some success and some very comical situations that made me go " hmmmm these guys don't act like they need pilots" some regionals like empire and Great Lakes were until recently posting on there web sites, 121 experience preferred ! A few places were very down to earth, but then there were a few that were over the top, two regionals wouldn't even interview me because I lost my original pilots log book that dated from 1986 to 1990, even though I have multiple and recent 8710's one had a hard time with me not having my original training records lol so here's my thoughts, one there's only a pilot shortage in the since that the airlines and regionals don't have 30 applications to choose from for 10 slots they need to fill, they only have 20, so they call that a shortage, notice the pay hasn't gone up dramatically? Shoot even Great Lakes has found a way to keep pay down by going 135, two which I know first hand from my son, there is and is about ready to be even more military guys on the streets looking for jobs and the carriers know this. Of course then again I could be wrong lol
No

Hail no....
Quote: No, no overall shortage here.

Just people with multiple DUI's, 709's, 4+ primary checkride failures, violations, and Iraqi Mig pilots all being hired with no interview via email, phone and text. 18 months ago these people would be destined for a life of pattern work and steep turns.

Shortage of qualified, educated, clean record pilots who should be at a 121 carrier? Yes.
Well, being hired doesn't mean you get through IOE and make it to the line. I'd be interested to hear, with factual evidence, how many guys with multiple DUIs, 709s, checkride failures and violations are actually getting through.

Plus, the Iraqi MiG pilot quota...I heard they're better pilots than the Sukhoi guys
Lol facebiter, ya after reading some of those success stories I started sniffing my arm pits for strange smells, if my biggest and only ding is a lost logbook from my private pilot days, and guys with DUI,s check ride failures and violations are getting hired and the HR and chief pilots are telling me to go away something's wrong ! I wander how the mig guy documented his flight time ! Factual I'd like to meet a guy that got hired on with a part 61 check ride failure or a missing log book at this point. I'm starting to agree with some that the regionals will just us this to justifying scaling back the fleets, just like the majors did
i had my logbook stolen with my flight bag from my car almost 10 years ago. I got hired. just document how you restored your time.

or just go electronic and its never an issue again.

as for the shortage. temporarily by definition yes at the regional level. without an increase in pay and work rules it will get worse.
No, none, zero, shortage of qualified and competitive applicants for major airline jobs.

RJ jobs, entry level CFI jobs, piston Navajo air ambulance jobs, arguably a shortage may occur.

Is the applicant inbox at the HR office at major airlines (to include UPS/FDX) empty or thin ? Uh, negative.
Slumav505, it gets better, the log book was last seen at the flight school, I used for my atp, the examiner gave it back to the front desk, noticing I had left it on his desk, so my 8710 matches my current book, bottom line is if there was a real shortage the regionals would be this picky, now keep in mind not all are.
Quote: No, none, zero, shortage of qualified and competitive applicants for major airline jobs.

RJ jobs, entry level CFI jobs, piston Navajo air ambulance jobs, arguably a shortage may occur.

Is the applicant inbox at the HR office at major airlines (to include UPS/FDX) empty or thin ? Uh, negative.
Exactly, could've said it better. Shortage of lower paying jobs pretty much sums it up...
Quote: According to one of the Mesa doods, 30-40% are getting the axe first year.

It's only like 15-20x what a respectable outfit washes out. No biggie.
FaceBiter washed out of Mesa, FYI everyone.
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 12
Go to