Should I make the jump?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
Ladies and Gents,
I seek advice. As most, I look forward to eventually being hired at a Major As such, I'm attempting to make my resume most attractive. Currently I have:

Chief Pilot
ATP SE/ME
5400 TT
2700 PIC Turbine
1700 ME PIC Turbine
500 PIC Jet
CE525/G200 Types
91/135 experience (Ameriflight)
DPE
BS Aeronautics from Riddle
No violations/Accidents

I am currently making 110K a year mostly Part 91, single pilot flying. I need a vote.
should make the jump to making 20k a year flying 121 to get that box checked? Thoughts? should I stick it out till and if I get that call?
I see two ways of looking at this:

What is your current job security? Use that as one litmus test for deciding what to do.

Second, assume that for reasons you can't determine, you go to a regional, and find yourself never being able to move on. Can you live with that? Realistically, you will probably meet your goal of getting to a major. But what if you can't? Assume further that you have to stay at a regional long enough to upgrade and get 121 PIC time, in addition to what you have now--that puts you in the regionals for a minimum of 4 years. If you can live with the risk, then go for it.

Just curious: how old are you? That will affect your decision making process. At least...it should.
Yes. For sure. Definitely. No question. Its only money.
You don't need to "check the 121 box" at a regional in order to get hired at a major, especially since you have previous air carrier experience via AMF.

Might help, might not, but I think you'd be a fool to leave a job making that salary for flying/managing a CJ in order to drive a RJ, just in the *hope* it'll help get you to the next level.

There's tens of thousands of other pilots trying to get hired at major airlines right now - you're just one in the pile, so you'll have to wait your turn. Much like the 91 world, NETWORKING can help elevate you in the pile, and can be anything from LORs from existing pilots at the airline you want to work for to attending job fairs attended by your targeted airlines.
Quote: You don't need to "check the 121 box" at a regional in order to get hired at a major, especially since you have previous air carrier experience via AMF.

Might help, might not, but I think you'd be a fool to leave a job making that salary for flying/managing a CJ in order to drive a RJ, just in the *hope* it'll help get you to the next level.

There's tens of thousands of other pilots trying to get hired at major airlines right now - you're just one in the pile, so you'll have to wait your turn. Much like the 91 world, NETWORKING can help elevate you in the pile, and can be anything from LORs from existing pilots at the airline you want to work for to attending job fairs attended by your targeted airlines.
Job fairs are critical for United. Can't speak for the others, but UA draws heavily from them.
Should I make the jump?
Log more jet time where you're at. Get a 737 type. Looks like you can afford if you're making 6 figures. Apply for a major. Looks pretty simple to me.
Don't get a 737 type unless you really really want to work at Southwest.
Unfortunately the Major hiring process has changed to your disadvantage...You are competing with thousands of pilots with Part 121 line experience operating in parallel with the respected Major...Networking and Job fairs will help, but your background will move you to one of the "other" resume piles...Don't leave a 110k job for a regional for a chance at a Major Job...That "Commuter" job will most likely sour your taste for work in the airline industry as a pilot...
Don't do it. You're in a good spot to wait. Your talking about taking an 80% pay cut, an immeasurable cut in your QOL, a probable commute, etc. As was said earlier, you could be in that job for a while.

When I got out of the Air Force, I would've jumped at a part 91 job that pays 110k where I wanted to live. I couldn't find one, but fortunately was picked up by a major. I'd still consider jumping ship to 91, but it'd have to be for a lot more money now.
Only leave for a Major, DO NOT go to a regional. End of story. I went the 91,135 route. you can as well. Everyone I know at a regional is trying to get out. If the say they are not they are lieing to you....
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to