Airline Pilots in Old Taildraggers

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 10
Go to
Nice! A real airplane!
Quote: I only wish I had some video of my early exploits when I flew for the 65 Horse Air Force.

All the low levels, all the cow bombing runs, all the low strafing passes of my girlfriends dorm, the beach landings, all the toilet paper cutting and the flower sack bombings.

Nothing like flying a tail wheel off a grass strip with nobody around to turn you in!
Amen brother. I once had one of my really young students bring his paintball gun to a primary lesson. Short country strip + paintball gun + C152 + two immature asshats + cattle that had zero chance of outrunning said 152 = a $hi)load of fun & great memories!
Quote: Nice! A real airplane!
I learned how to fly in the DC-3 , I was a 520 hour TT pilot when I first flew the 3, I ended up making captain on her 1200 hours later, ATP and type on the same ride, I earned my tay in her for several years, fighting weather, the clock, and circadian rhythms all in the pursuit of aerial commerce. She has taken me across oceans, everywhere from JFK, to Hono, to Bangkok , to grass strips,the world at our feet, at 5000 feet, and 150 knots, lulled by a Pratt Whitney serenade, and the whisper of the slipstream . A blessing to fly her.
Some really bad tail wheel landings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYg2i9Jgvs
Looks like an everyday experience in the landing of a tail wheel (conventional gear) aircraft! Hang on baby.
Quote: My husband and I just bought a 1946 Luscombe 8a. 65 horse, rag wing, no electrical. 90 kts on 4gph. Can't wait to go pick it up!
I'll bet! Took a couple weeks for schedule and weather to come together to get my Pacer from Kalispell to Minneapolis. Long flights in the winter in VFR-only airplanes can be tough. I lucked out but had a good stretch of rather marginal VFR in eastern Montana...good thing there's lots of Class G out there! Where are you picking up the Luscombe and where will it be based?

DSCN0429.jpg

N3323A on the ramp at Helena MT.

Quote: Attachment 1833
Here she is !!!
What a beut! Does the Yankee Air Museum do rides with the C47 like they do the B17 & B25? They had the -17 at my home airport (KFCM) last year I think.
The beast in Idaho.

My first 1500 or so hours was all tail wheel and good portion of that was radial engine. I sold my 1956, C-180 back in 2005. kind of wish I still had it but the expense was killing me so she had to go.
Quote: The beast in Idaho.
Very nice! Hoping to get the Pacer out there this summer...set up camp at Johnson Creek & check out some of the not-so-crazy backcountry strips. Probably gonna pass on Dewey Moore, Cabin Creek, & Mile-Hi this time around .

Ever flown a 180hp Carbon Cub? OMG... absolutely bonkers performance... got a chance to demo one at OSH this year.
1  2  3  4  5  6 
Page 2 of 10
Go to