When will LA close?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
With a max dh duty day of 22 hrs, looks like LA's days are short. You can get a guy from ANC to anywhere in Asia in 22 hrs, and a MEM guy to DXB and maybe Delhi if the timing is just right. Of course this is using the crazy logic of why LA stayed open (per Jack).
Quote: With a max dh duty day of 22 hrs, looks like LA's days are short. You can get a guy from ANC to anywhere in Asia in 22 hrs, and a MEM guy to DXB and maybe Delhi if the timing is just right. Of course this is using the crazy logic of why LA stayed open (per Jack).
LAX should have never been the west coast base. It should have been OAK.

But I am sure the guys/gals who live in the Bay area and are LAX based would disagree.
The LAX pilots can be replaced by drones
A Labor Day Lament - Barron's
Mayday I've been concerned with this, long term, for years as I see automation grow. But what does it have to do with LA closing?
Quote: With a max dh duty day of 22 hrs, looks like LA's days are short. You can get a guy from ANC to anywhere in Asia in 22 hrs, and a MEM guy to DXB and maybe Delhi if the timing is just right. Of course this is using the crazy logic of why LA stayed open (per Jack).
Huh? LA mostly fills Asia trips - I don't see how this requirement will change DHs to Asia - you can still do single leg deadheads to most anywhere (which has always been a requirement for duty over 16). LAX-DXB is about 16 hours flight time, total duty time 18.5. Not sure how you see this restriction impeding that?
Not restricting it, doing away with it. The old reasoning for LA was this ability to get a pilot anywhere in the 16 hrs. Now it will be 22 hrs, so no longer a need for LA. It can be done from MEM and ANC.
Quote: Not restricting it, doing away with it. The old reasoning for LA was this ability to get a pilot anywhere in the 16 hrs. Now it will be 22 hrs, so no longer a need for LA. It can be done from MEM and ANC.
You're missing the point. For a greater than 16 hour duty day, it must be booked on a non-stop flight. No such animal in Anchorage or Memphis. That is why LAX will stay open.
Once again, people griping about something they are apparently clueless about?

Ref. 8.A.5.c.iv
Quote: You're missing the point. For a greater than 16 hour duty day, it must be booked on a non-stop flight. No such animal in Anchorage or Memphis. That is why LAX will stay open.

Ref. 8.A.5.c.iv

Just you wait the company will buy dash eights and load them up with gas and send them on 22 hour trips out of Memphis with you booked in the jumpseat. That is what will happen if you vote yes.
Quote: Just you wait the company will buy dash eights and load them up with gas and send them on 22 hour trips out of Memphis with you booked in the jumpseat. That is what will happen if you vote yes.
Unfortunately I think that's what some of our pilots honestly believe.
"You're missing the point. For a greater than 16 hour duty day, it must be booked on a non-stop flight. No such animal in Anchorage or Memphis. That is why LAX will stay open.

Ref. 8.A.5.c.iv "

Okay Cubicle Commander, I'll bite.
Ref. 8.A.3.b.v - Max deadhead shall not be scheduled for more than 22 consecutive hours.

Ref 8.A.5.c.iv - does say for deadheads scheduled more than 16 hrs, non-stop, discounted first, full fare first. But if you continue reading, all of the "intent" has been removed.

I wonder why? You don't think the company would use the argument that the one portion leg of the flight has to be non-stop as long as the whole duty day is under 22 hrs. No the company never pushes the limits on the contract knowing full well our union won't grieve it. So they could say - you are going MEM-ORD-DXB. It is legal in that it is under 22 hrs duty, and the actual block time is about 15+30.

I hate it when I am "clueless" about big holes in the contract. I hate it when the company takes advantage of these holes. Back to your cubicle, while the rest of the pilots talk about issues with POS contract.
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to