Let the IPA do the Work

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
Quote: IPA is putting up a good fight as usual.
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, because I love my UPS brethren, but what has IPA exactly achieved putting up their "good fight?"

As far as I know, their work rules are less desirable than ours, they have hundreds of strike-breaking NURPS, etc.

They have one pay scale for all seats, which may or may not be advantageous, and they have a bigger B-plan, with the trade off of a smaller A-plan.

What has the IPA "fought for" that we covet? I can't think of one thing off the top of my head...
Quote: What has the IPA "fought for" that we covet? I can't think of one thing off the top of my head...

I think the IPA used to be Teamsters ... maybe the truckers benefit from the IPA's efforts?

Maybe the truckers got coffee makers in their trucks because the pilots had them in their airplanes? The big rig truckers have bunks but do they have a lav in their office?

Quote:
What has the IPA "fought for" that we covet? I can't think of one thing off the top of my head...
The IPA has one thing we (at Fedex) will not have for 6+ years, HOPE. They have a future, a hope, to improve their lot, our industry, our collective good. Fedex pilots have ****ed away their opportunity to raise the bar. Maybe some of our "independent contractors" believe we have "won" some improvements, but, rest assured its an allusion (or more accurately, a delusion ). I'm ashamed to hear our pilots put a positive spin on this contract. The A fund freeze alone without a meaningful B adjustment is so concessionary that only the most optimistic can believe they will make up for this declining benefit.

Maybe the IPA will hold out for a real improvement, or at least not a reversal of fortunes. Fedex pilots have bought an Edsel when they deserve a Caddy. Maybe in 10 years leadership with a backbone will reverse the trend. Too late for most of us.
Quote: The IPA has one thing we (at Fedex) will not have for 6+ years, HOPE. They have a future, a hope, to improve their lot, our industry, our collective good. Fedex pilots have ****ed away their opportunity to raise the bar.
Hmm, so you think hope is the panacea?

I wonder, if UPS pilots were offered our contract, as concessionary as it supposedly is, would they take it? Same pay rates, same bonus (ie 16K/yr retro pay for WB captains, on down). Same work rules. Same deadheading policy, training policy, A fund of 130K-for both captains and fo's, no constant displacement of junior pilots, and no NURPS--all fired. I wonder.
Quote: I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, because I love my UPS brethren, but what has IPA exactly achieved putting up their "good fight?"

As far as I know, their work rules are less desirable than ours, they have hundreds of strike-breaking NURPS, etc.

They have one pay scale for all seats, which may or may not be advantageous, and they have a bigger B-plan, with the trade off of a smaller A-plan.

The difference is that UPS never had a great deal but they have held onto what they had. At FedEx work rules, pay, pension, job security and protection were far better before the pilots voted for a union. The expectation that the big national union would provide security. I suspect you will see UPS being the better deal. Not because UPS became so good, but because the FedEx pilots gave it all away.
Quote: The difference is that UPS never had a great deal but they have held onto what they had. At FedEx work rules, pay, pension, job security and protection were far better before the pilots voted for a union. The expectation that the big national union would provide security. I suspect you will see UPS being the better deal. Not because UPS became so good, but because the FedEx pilots gave it all away.

You fell off your horse again, didn't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote: You fell off your horse again, didn't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you ride horses there is no question you will fall off. Just a matter of time.
Quote: Hmm, so you think hope is the panacea?

I wonder, if UPS pilots were offered our contract, as concessionary as it supposedly is, would they take it? Same pay rates, same bonus (ie 16K/yr retro pay for WB captains, on down). Same work rules. Same deadheading policy, training policy, A fund of 130K-for both captains and fo's, no constant displacement of junior pilots, and no NURPS--all fired. I wonder.
With all the variables you list………It would pass by a landslide…..guaranteed.
Quote: ... I wonder, if UPS pilots were offered... no NURPS--all fired. I wonder.
I could imagine UPS management aiming for 50% +1, by offering a 10-12% raise and all NURPS gone - forget DH policy, A/B fund, etc... IMO that would create a divisive vote, as I cannot imagine a more crew-unifiying situation other than NURPS.
Quote: I could imagine UPS management aiming for 50% +1, by offering a 10-12% raise and all NURPS gone - forget DH policy, A/B fund, etc... IMO that would create a divisive vote, as I cannot imagine a more crew-unifiying situation other than NURPS.
The negotiators all seem to be going for that 50% +1 vote, don't they? I hope they get what we have, plus a lot more. Honestly, that NURP thing just raises my blood pressure every time I think about it, and it doesn't even affect me. It seems as if they could just hire NURPS instead of line pilots, or hire a few line pilots and furlough them whenever they want, under current contract. I hope that is a top priority for the negotiators to deal with.
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to