Is it greener on the other side of the sand dune?

Subscribe
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to
To add on to what BC and TP said, I would agree with most everything. But for me, my schedule has been waaay better than what I got at my old legacy job. Yes you do fly a lot of night and back side of the clock flying. Really never quite know what day it is. But for me the time off has been excellent and able me to commute every month back to the states. Probably I have just been very lucky in the bidding process. All that said, I am at the end of my aviation career as compared to you. I would think that you would be able to get a good job in the US at your age and experience, ie, SWA, FedEx, UPS, or others. I know I don't have to spend more than a few years here. If I was looking at a whole career, my opinion might be a little "darker". For the most part, great guys to share a cockpit with. It has been a fabulous experience for me, but check back in three years.
S1
BC and S1-

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate you guys taking time to answer. Emirates sounds good, but maybe for later. I think that it would be a great place to finish off my career. With a four year old and a 13 year old,I think it may be a bit much for my family. I would love to fly a 777 internationally, but that will have to come later.

Fly Safe.
UCP
Utah,

Just add a bit more to the pot.., I agree with all of the above.. I came here at 30, and been here a bit over year and generally enjoy it.. I do manage to get back to the states from time to time, but don't kid yourself, it can be a major pain in the ass.. Delta is starting nonstop to ATL in May, so that may help.. I have met a ton of great friends, and there are a lot of younger people here, especially in the cabin.. Compared to a regional, this is worlds better from a flying standpoint.. I came from a LCC, and this flying is usually easier, but tends to be a lot more boring.. Plus, (sorry guys) Emirates gets scared when pilots turn all the magic off.. 800 hours in the 777, and I still have never had the auto-throttle off.. visual, what's that? I will say overall (there are MAJOR exceptions) the guys you work with here are top notch, and a lot more professional then the "norm" in the US..
You should come and interview, and do what you are doing in talking to as many as possible..

Having said all of this, I have given notice to leave in May!! Too far from MY homeland...
In my interview with my "New" company they asked me if EK made me a better pilot.. I paused, and thought.. "EK made me a more professional pilot, but not a better one"..

EKBC
As a matter of interest EK, I thought there was a three year training bond at Emirates.
There is Foggy.. and it will be paid...

Cheers,

BC
Quote: BC and S1-

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate you guys taking time to answer. Emirates sounds good, but maybe for later. I think that it would be a great place to finish off my career. With a four year old and a 13 year old,I think it may be a bit much for my family. I would love to fly a 777 internationally, but that will have to come later.

Fly Safe.
UCP
Probably a good move. I would not want to raise a teenager here. Too much mall, too much fast livin', too much too much in general for an impressionable teenager. JMHO.
Quote: There is Foggy.. and it will be paid...

Cheers,

BC
It says a lot, when folks are willing to leave early and having to pay a penalty to do so.
Quote: Probably a good move. I would not want to raise a teenager here. Too much mall, too much fast livin', too much too much in general for an impressionable teenager. JMHO.
I'm not sure how long since you've been out of the US, but I can assure you ANY American city would be just as bad (if not worse) than Dubai in that aspect. In fact, I think growing up in Dubai would probably give a teenager access to a better high school education and a more diverse background than the average US highschooler. Again, just food for thought.
EK Monthly Roster
Hello,
I am wondering whether anyone can tell me how many days off/ rest days at home per month you would get as an average EK pilot during an average bid month (either fleet). Also, are you likely to have any reasonable blocks of days off ie: four or five days in a row? I understand that 8 days off is the monthly minimum, but is that typical? I have been scouring this forum and Pprune for this information, but seem to be having a hard time finding a straight answer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Quote: Hello,
I am wondering whether anyone can tell me how many days off/ rest days at home per month you would get as an average EK pilot during an average bid month (either fleet). Also, are you likely to have any reasonable blocks of days off ie: four or five days in a row? I understand that 8 days off is the monthly minimum, but is that typical? I have been scouring this forum and Pprune for this information, but seem to be having a hard time finding a straight answer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
There is no subjective way to answer your question other than what I'm about to do. My answer takes a cross section of pilots on both the Airbus and Boeing, both Captain and First Officer, even some TRI/TREs. It covers two months, February and March. So here it is.

February:

B777 TRI 9 Days off, 4 rest days, 1 day vacation, 3 days off in a row prior to vacation.

B777 TRE 9 Days off, 2 rest days, max days off in a row = 4

B777 FO 9 Days Off, 1 rest day, 3 days vacation

B777 CA 13 days off, 5 in a row at beginning of month

B777 CA Full month reserve

B777 FO 12 days off, 1 rest day, max days off in a row = 7

A330/340 CA 8 days off, two trips with extended layovers

A330/340 CA 9 Days off, 1 rest day, two trips with extended layovers

A330/340 LTC 9 Days off, 2 rest days, 8 days vacation

A330/340 FO 6 Days off, 15 days vacation

B777 FO 9 Days off, max days off in a row = 2

A330/340 FO Full month reserve

A330/340 FO 11 days off, 1 rest day, max days off in a row = 4

March 2007

B777 TRI 9 Days off, 1 rest day, 4 days vacation, from Feb into March with 5 days vacation = 12 days off in a row

B777 TRE 11 Days off

B777 FO 5 days off, 18 days vacation, total days off/vacation in a row = 23

B777 CA 6 Days off, 2 rest days, 12 days vacation

B777 CA 5 Days off, 14 days vacation

B777 FO 17 Days off, 2 rest days, max days off in a row = 12

A330/340 CA 15 Days off, 1 rest day, max days off in a row = 12

A330/340 CA 7 Days off, 17 Days vacation

A330/340 TRI 15 Days off, 2 rest days, 5 days off in a row at end of month

A330/340 FO 12 Days off, 3 Days sick, max in a row = 4 ( twice )

A330/340 FO 13 Days off, 6 Days Vacation, total off/vacation in a row from Feb = 24 using 10 days of vacation

B777 FO 14 Days off, 4 rest days, max days off in a row = 11

A330/340 FO 5 Days off, 2 rest days, 14 days vacation

A330/340 FO 8 Days off, 4 rest days

Looks like most of my friends were on vacation for Feb/March

TP
1  2  3 
Page 2 of 3
Go to