Part 61 versus Part 141 - Does it matter?

Subscribe
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to
We are about to spend, for us, a lot of money on our 18 year old daughter's ambition to become a commercial pilot. Whether we go with a Part 61 or Part 141 will have significant cost difference implications

My question can be framed as follows:

How high do major airline recruiters rank this CV attribute from the list of CV attributes that they would be considering?

If major airline recruiters place a high rating on Part 141 over Part 61 then a higher cost could possibly be justified.

Thanks for any advise that you can provide.

Jonathan
Not being that guy. But women have a higher chance of getting hired regardless of flight school.
Quote: We are about to spend, for us, a lot of money on our 18 year old daughter's ambition to become a commercial pilot. Whether we go with a Part 61 or Part 141 will have significant cost difference implications

My question can be framed as follows:

How high do major airline recruiters rank this CV attribute from the list of CV attributes that they would be considering?

If major airline recruiters place a high rating on Part 141 over Part 61 then a higher cost could possibly be justified.

Thanks for any advise that you can provide.

Jonathan
Major airlines won't care because by the time she gets to that level they will be concerned about 135/121 flying time, military time, and education. My take on each is as follows....61 trains private pilots, 141 trains commercial pilots. 141 is accelerated and geared towards pilots that what to do it professionally. My opinion...find a college that has a 141 program and complete some college with the flying...
I honestly can't see that making the least bit of difference to a major.
Won't make a difference. A college degree (any degree, so a nice instate school vs an expensive flight college will help mitigate the flying costs) will matter, so make sure college is in the plans as well. I recommend college right away, while she's still in student mode. I've seen folks put it off with the intention of doing it and never returning.

You'll get a million opinions on this, so please take them through a filter.
At WAI, Delta and United both said they weigh the source of flight training, but in a few years it won't be as big a factor. I agree, college should be a priority. Many say don't get an aviation degree, but the fastest way to a degree is to apply the certificates to the degree for a year's worth of credit. You can always do an MBA later as a back up.
Try the Air Force Academy - Free degree - free flight training - lots of flight time (till you are sick of it)

DD
I don't think it matters to the airlines whether you're 61 or 141. To your wallet it might make a significant difference (lower flight time to qualify for a checkride).

Once your daughter has all the necessary ratings, the ever obnoxious question will appear. How do you get the job without the rating/experience? It might be easier now, then it was for me. I don't miss those times at all (actually, I did get laid quite a ... Nevermind)!
Didn't you ask this same question over on TPN? How many people do you need to tell you the same answer? No, it matters zero. Once she has her license(s), they won't know what type of program she used or who she got them through.
Part 61 versus Part 141 - Does it matter?
Don't know your family's inclination towards the military, but I'd get her into a local air guard unit doing something she 'might' enjoy one weekend per month, take the in-state school bennies and then make sure she either does the aviation program at an in-state school or the part 61 route. Once she graduates college, apply for pilot training through her guard unit or any other guard/reserve flying squadron. Free(ish) school, free flight training and a no brainer for many of the legacies.

Having said all that, I think I'd buy my kid a plane....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1  2 
Page 1 of 2
Go to