Beards

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 12
Go to
It's Time!!! I know, it's not the great hat debate, but I'm tired of shaving and I've still got a long way before I retire!

Assumptions/Thoughts...

- I'm talking 'well groomed' beards (although I plan to give Billy Gibbons a run for his money some day, until Mrs. Cheddar declines access to the 'pantry')

- Not understanding why some airlines are very anti beard when we are sooooooo accepting of pretty much EVERYTHING else!

- FAs have them, agents, etc, but pilots?!? VERBOTEN!!![emoji53]

- There are some very professional looking international airline pilots who sport well - groomed, trimmed beards, goatees, etc.

- Universally accepted by most religions and Darwin had one too (not sure about those Flying Spaghetti Monster fellers though)!

Before it gets ugly No - I wouldn't trade QWL or Pay for some follicle frivolity! But I might think about wearing a hat [emoji6]

In all seriousness, what's the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't always get a tight seal on your mask with a thick beard.
Hawaiian allows beards.
Lufthansa as well many European carriers allow them. Most Asian carriers as well. I had a solid short beard for a year with an Asian carrier along with about 50% of the pilot group.
The seal thing is largely just not true according to everyone outside the US, especially with new EROS masks.
Had a goatee when I flew for Tradewinds.
Nobody said nothing..

Present employee handbook says no beards and a mustache should not extend more than 1/4" from the corner of the mouth.
Military style and looks.
Quote: It's Time!!! I know, it's not the great hat debate, but I'm tired of shaving and I've still got a long way before I retire!

Assumptions/Thoughts...

- I'm talking 'well groomed' beards (although I plan to give Billy Gibbons a run for his money some day, until Mrs. Cheddar declines access to the 'pantry')

- Not understanding why some airlines are very anti beard when we are sooooooo accepting of pretty much EVERYTHING else!

- FAs have them, agents, etc, but pilots?!? VERBOTEN!!![emoji53]

- There are some very professional looking international airline pilots who sport well - groomed, trimmed beards, goatees, etc.

- Universally accepted by most religions and Darwin had one too (not sure about those Flying Spaghetti Monster fellers though)!

Before it gets ugly No - I wouldn't trade QWL or Pay for some follicle frivolity! But I might think about wearing a hat [emoji6]

In all seriousness, what's the deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read the words on the side of the oxygen mask.
Quote: Lufthansa as well many European carriers allow them. Most Asian carriers as well. I had a solid short beard for a year with an Asian carrier along with about 50% of the pilot group.
The seal thing is largely just not true according to everyone outside the US, especially with new EROS masks.
Yeah.

And they are smart enough to think MPL is a good idea.
We had a guy claim that he had some sort of skin condition that meant he couldn't shave. He wore a beard for a while. He's gone now. I don't know if he got fired, left for greener pastures or quit to pursue a bigger beard.

Anyway, the mask seals just fine around the bottom lip with most beards. I wore one in Europe as did several colleagues. It's got nothing to do with safety and everything to do with image and control.
If we allowed beards in the US we'd see all sorts of variations of what a professional looking beard is since everyone feels the need to express themselves. We had one guy at VX show up to work with a beard on two different occasions. I think he got some time off.
Quote: If we allowed beards in the US we'd see all sorts of variations of what a professional looking beard is since everyone feels the need to express themselves.
How is that an argument against beards? Heaven forbid a person express themselves! Oh my, I've got the vapors! Someone give me some water!
1  2  3  4  5  11 
Page 1 of 12
Go to