Steps to becoming USAF cargo pilot?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to
So I've always had an interest in flying for the military, preferably cargo because I honestly don't think I could take the G's that these guys pull on a constant basis in the fighters. Not to say that I have a weak stomach but I would be much better suited on something other than a fighter. What is the process to getting into something like this? I'm currently enrolled in a collegiate flight school program, I'll have my Aviation flight science bachelors degree in 2 years, and I'll have my CFI here shortly. I know you need a college degree, I am also wondering about the health requirements, I have a first class medical, 20/20, flawless health history, however, I do get these random heart palpitations, I'm doing testing later in the week to see exactly what they are, sounds like they're benign and aren't a big deal. What these be something that would disqualify me? Any advice is appreciated.
Quote: So I've always had an interest in flying for the military, preferably cargo because I honestly don't think I could take the G's that these guys pull on a constant basis in the fighters. Not to say that I have a weak stomach but I would be much better suited on something other than a fighter. What is the process to getting into something like this? I'm currently enrolled in a collegiate flight school program, I'll have my Aviation flight science bachelors degree in 2 years, and I'll have my CFI here shortly. I know you need a college degree, I am also wondering about the health requirements, I have a first class medical, 20/20, flawless health history, however, I do get these random heart palpitations, I'm doing testing later in the week to see exactly what they are, sounds like they're benign and aren't a big deal. What these be something that would disqualify me? Any advice is appreciated.

Best bet is to talk to a recruiter either Guard or Active duty
Avoid active duty. Look at the guard and reserve, but avoid active duty.
Quote: Best bet is to talk to a recruiter either Guard or Active duty
Go Guard or Reserve, and ONLY talk to an "Officer Accession" recruiter. Realize that if you skip my advice and go to a normal recruiter, they might (will) lie to you and try to convince you to enlist, they don't give 2 $h!+'s about your desire to be a pilot.

Really though, you need to find the job yourself, get some face time, and use the recruiter for completing your application package.

That said, you should be able to pick up a reserve spot if you put your mind to it. As far as heart palpitations, I don't know, is it a murmur? Or A-fib? The latter would be very bad, the former probably OK. Check out baseops.net for more info on joining and the heart question.
Go guard/reserves. DO NOT go active duty!

Pilot training in active duty is a complete crapshoot as to what plane you will get and they really like f*cking guys over and giving graduates RPAs that they are stuck with for potentially 10 years. Guess what those hours count for?

As guard/reserve, you'll go to pilot training knowing the plane you fly if you get hired by a unit. Plus you can apply to the airlines/FedEx as soon as you have the minimums.
Guard first, then reserve in that order although it may be easier to get into the reserve depending on location.

Guard prefers local boys/girls, so in-state is the best place to start.

If you can't get a part time gig but don't want to do fighters, I would skip AD entirely and just go the airline route ( you can keep trying for guard/reserve until about age 30 while you build airline experience and seniority). The hiring opportunities right now are great and getting better but you might well be on the back side of that curve by the time you finish school and an AD service obligation.
As a soon to be retired active duty guy...listen to these other people. Guard/Reserve is what you want.

Also, you're going to pull some Gs in pilot training.
Steps to becoming a cargo pilot? Do poorly in pilot training....

(Just kidding...had to take the easy shot..)
Yeah, I wanted to be a fighter pilot but unfortunately having an IQ above 45 disqualifies you
Quote: Steps to becoming a cargo pilot? Do poorly in pilot training....

(Just kidding...had to take the easy shot..)

And I'll enjoy living out my life with no back or neck pain!
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 7
Go to